Good 225 AB load for 338 Win

7ultra

Hi all,
I'm looking to get a good Elk/mule deer load together for the upcoming fall. I was wondering what a good load for a 225gr Accubond out of a 338 win would be? Thanks

7ultra,

The 225 gr AB is a good bullet. I am getting grewat accuracy with this bullet in my 338 RUM. I have also tested expansion at 50 yds to 300 yds in water and the results were quite impressive. Expansion ranged from .637" to .795" and weight retention was 58% to 64%. Pretty good when you consider RUM velocities.
Here are a couple of links for you to look at.
The Nosler fourm has a lot of good information for your 338 Win Mag.
www.noslerreloading.com
http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?...20Sp%2E%20Pt%2E

Regards,

JD338

In my 338 Win factory REM 700 I get great results with a 225gr bullet and RL-22. Accuracy is good, velocity is good. Follow the Alliant book and go up slowly till you get what you wish. There'll be a sweet spot in there someplace.

However I only shot 250gr bullets. Just figure its more bang for the buck so to speak.

What kind of velocity were you gettin with the 250s? Shooting Win factory 250 gr PG I am getting right at 2800 fps out of my M77 338WM. I wasn't sure I could beat that loading myself.

As much as 2850 but accuracy is at 2800 +/- 10 fps. Load is 74.8 gr RL-22 and Federal 215s. Its right at max maybe a little more. Ejector is shinie. But it works well.

Also, here's one for ya. The above load was worked up in the summer when 4 shots made the bbl way hot.

Went out in zero degree temp and stabilized the loads and rifle at that temp (put them on the back patio over night).

See my post else where on this board but velocity instead of decreasing as I would have expected was a 2900 +/- 10. What's up with that.

Roy,
What kind of brass and primers do you use? I've noticed the 338 to be one of my hotter guns, and its pretty tough on brass (especially when you get above 70 grains "anything"). Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.