Good 12 ga shotgun?

Looking for a new 12 ga for marylands waterfowl season planning on shooting duck and goose with some dove hunting as well, one that I'm looking at right now is the benelli m2, I don't love the new forend they put on there so I'd be looking for an old one, are they reliable or durable guns ?
Try a Renegauge.

I picked up a sweet older Browning BPS off of GB. Was even better than the pics. Closet gun for sure. Several buddies asked if it was new! Immediately ordered 5 more chokes, came with imp cyl.

But, if I was going after meat…Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum

Very difficult to beat a Benelli or Beretta.
I would have to agree with this. I have both and they are both great in the field. I also agree with several posts on here about fit. With a shotgun fit is everything. If the shotgun doesn't fit you, you will not shoot it well. There are alot of great products on the market today. Everyone is making a pretty good product as they have to to stay in business. Go to your local GS and try every one they have on the wall. One will feel like its just an extension of your arm. That's the one to buy! Good Luck

Last edited:
Krieghoff, Kolar or Perazzi.
Have those. Cannot figure out how to get a third shell in any of them. Stupid, I guess. I guided for many years. Truth be known, Beretta, Benelli, Browning, doesn't matter when you learn them. What does matter is gun fit. Each are different. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. Benelli's kick, but feed well. Berettas just run, after a few flats of waterfowl loads. They don't fit everyone well and some folks don't shoot them well. They feel bulky and clunky. Brownings point well, but don't like to run dirty. What do I shoot? If not shooting an O/U I shoot a SuperX4 in either 12 or 20ga. Same gun as the Browning, but point better for me. I shoot a Browning Gold 10 at geese.

Looking for a new 12 ga for marylands waterfowl season planning on shooting duck and goose with some dove hunting as well, one that I'm looking at right now is the benelli m2, I don't love the new forend they put on there so I'd be looking for an old one, are they reliable or durable guns ?
What is your budget? Some recommendations might be out of your price range.

My last shotgun purchase was a Franchi Affinity 3.5" 12G semi-auto 28" that I paid $875 in 2019. Good luck!

They come with a shim kit (or all of mine has) to fit it to the shooter. Mine was from factory but took less than 5 minutes to try a different set of shims and it was a good 60/40 pattern.
It's an amazing thing how few people actually take those minutes (20-30 ... let's be honest) to set their Benelli up correctly.

I mounted a red dot on mine this year and ... OMG!!

I went through the same thing a few years ago and ended up going with the A400. I went to a Cabela's since it was the only thing close that had almost everything in stock where I could put my grubby little hands on them.

Of them all, the A400 shouldered the easiest and right where I was looking every time. It will also shoot anything I feed it without any changes.

I also have a Montefeltro 20ga that my oldest daughter shoots. It a women's model and that thing is a blast! If they'd have made one that would take a 3.5 inch shell when I was shopping, that would have been hard to beat too.

It's an amazing thing how few people actually take those minutes (20-30 ... let's be honest) to set their Benelli up correctly.

I mounted a red dot on mine this year and ... OMG!!
It's just because some simply don't know any different. Shotguns are about fit and that's the easiest way to make a gun work for different people. If bought from a box store, I highly doubt the one behind the counter knows they have a shim kit in the box, and probably tells folks don't buy that it shoots high/low. My Stoeger and Benelli came with a shim kit and I'm sure other manufactures have them as well.
That red dot set up sounds sweet!

Also, have to add…whatever you go with, adjust lop if needed. I think that's something most people overlook. Old gunsmith back in the 70-80's, who was my mentor, did this on most of my guns. You'd be amazed at how 1/4 - 1/2" difference will make on fitment. I think most folks cringe at the idea of their stock being cut, but if you shoot much better…why not? Think of it from a manufacturing standpoint. Why would they make a stock too short? Can't add much except maybe a spacer or two, but you can easily take off what's needed.

Last edited:
One morning on a panhandle goose hunt, wind chill -34, first bunch came in and we all sat up to shoot...three of us with Benelli SBEs all got off second and third shots, all the Berettas and Brownings were single shots, gas system frozen. That being said, the advantage of 3 1/2" shells is minimized when you don't have the gun snugged up to your shoulder and punch yourself in the nose

What is your budget? Some recommendations might be out of your price range.

My last shotgun purchase was a Franchi Affinity 3.5" 12G semi-auto 28" that I paid $875 in 2019. Good luck!
Another excellent gun. Same price as a SX4. They tend to have weak firing pin springs. Care must be taken lubing the firing pin in cold weather. Close tolerances between pin and bolt. Every shotgun has its faults, and that includes my $40k custom Kolar. Like I said earlier, The main difference is how they feel and fit. Most any gun in the list above will serve you well after you learn it. Go to a clays range and most folks will let you shoot their gun. Biggest problem with that is most of them will be an O/U. They are not a bad choice either. Having two chokes often is better than having a third shell. There are lots of choices around $2k. A sleeper is the ATI at under $700. Many of them feel, point and swing better than any auto on the planet, especially the ones over $10k. The 690 series Berettas are fabulous in this regard for a mid priced O/U, and very competitive in the summer at clays. If I could have only one shotgun for everything, it would be one of these with 30" barrels.