GMX Results?

scdogman,
It's been 2 years since your posting and I was wondering what your experience has been. This 130gn GMX is from last year's buck lope taken with a 270Win at 250 yards. We did not recover the same type bullet from the elk shown in the image but it performed flawlessly on my wife's large cow at about 100 yards. I hear a lot of opinions from folks that have little or no experience with copper solids, but I saw the same thing for no lead solder, in the electronics industry. Change is hard. I like both the GMX and Barnes Tipped TSX. I can't say that you can get them to group with every rifle but when you can, they're killers.
GMX.jpg
DSC01568 (2).JPG

I shot a mule deer buck in the brisket last year with a .280 139gr GMX at just over 100 yards. Excellent performance—penetration, expansion and weight retention. Expanding to a greater diameter than the Barnes TTSX bullets...I think it might be a little softer copper up front. It stayed together though. If you're interested I can dig it up and post a picture of the bullet next to a recovered TTSX.

Loaded them but never used them. Went with the Nosler partition 150 grain for my 2016 elk with the 270 win.

I have loaded some Hammer bullets to try on whitetail.

Excellent. I got my first elk with a Partition and recovered it. I just can't get them to group as well as others and the profile is not as good for longer shots we encounter here in CO, IMO. Thanks for the reply.

I have gotten good results with the .338 185 grain in my .338 federal. Easy to find a sub moa load. Recovered some from the rock/dirt backstop looks tough enough for sure. Looking to hammer next for a shorter bullet to take up less precious powder space

loaded some 139's up for my last 7 mag mid 3200 0r 3300 they shot ok cant find my notes , they really peeled back leaving a short shank, but the gravel n sand back stop didn't care at 100 yds, coast is so close to Barnes why not shoot the Original? Remember Imitation is the Sincerest form of Flattery . its your call .

I tried the GMX 165 gr. in my 300 WSM. Could never get the accuracy to hunt with the bullet.

I had the exact same thing with my Tikka T3 in 300WSM. I saw some reviews saying the twist rate seems better suited for 180gn class bullets. Right away I loaded some 180gn Tipped Trophy Bonded and 175gn Bergers and although not GMX, these heavier bullets flew much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.