GMU 24 Colorado

We hunted in the edge of it last year, season 1. The place was really busy and pressured. We had people from [redneck state removed] beside us banging on propane tanks early at 4:30 AM with a tire iron to wake up camp, lots of ATVs and 4 wheel drive golf cart things driving up and down all day and night, starting at 3AM. The people on the other side of us ran a generator all day long. One morning, I was on a hill and saw 5 orange vests from my vantage point. I also heard a lot of rapid fire shooting where everyone in a party just seemed to be shooting everything he had at an animal. One young man was running back to camp as he was out of ammo, after shooting 5 shots at 3 elk and not knowing if he hit any.

No one in our camp got elk. A number of camps, many who had horses, had elk.

The people in my party did not have ATVs and were not as interested in hiking in too far from the road.

My co-worker goes to this area with his relatives. I am thinking of maybe not going there and instead may focus on Wilderness area with no ATVs. For me, I think no ATVs not only equals a quieter experience but might eliminate some of those who may not want to walk. At this point, I plan on going alone. Due to work, I can't commit 100% to going with someone but am open to discussions on wilderness area hunting partners.

Regarding that area, prior to the frost there are a lot of tall weeds but once the frost comes, it clears up. There are many downed trees and it is hard to make good time through the woods.

If you want the GPS coordinates of these areas I mention that are pressured, I can try and find them.

I will be going into the Flat tops Wilderness Area. No motorized traffic allowed. We will be doing the horse back into the area, maybe hour and half ride in every morn. Hope this helps to get away from other hunters into some free space. I am waiting on some maps now.

Yup
Outside of Meeker, then take the right towards Yellow Jacket Pass. There is Wilderness area there, but there are many roads and trails that motorized vehicles are allowed on just the same.

The road we were on is CO-48 Yellow Jacket Pass Stock Driveway

A friend and I have already put in for the draw on that hunt code. May have to ride deeper than expected. Guess if draw comes thru we will have to play it as it comes.

I am not sure where you live but it would be great if you could scout the area out, even if only by Google Maps.

Do you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle? I tool my wife's Honda Pilot and that got me about 12 miles in. I succeed in cracking the windshield on the way out however. It was slimy muddy and I tried to high-side a puddle and slid down into it and hit a few bumps that flexed the frame enough.

Two others had Nissan Titans and there were beefy enough to continue where I did not want to take the Pilot.

Look for the maps on wildlife.state.co.us

1st season in the flat tops go high, If you are going to hunt from the trailhead plan on a 3hour or so ride every morning and evening depending on the trailhead...If your interested in doing a drop camp with an outfitter drop me a PM I have hunted with several in the flat tops..

Who have you hunted with? I think we are going with Ripple Creek. I have talked to several previous clients and they were all very happy with their hunts with them. They all sid they have booked again with them and some have been going for several years with them.

I have used several outfitters in the flat tops but prefer kip Gates at Rivers Bend Outfitters...

I would not use any outiftter for unit 24. It is almost all public land. Kip and his crew are not known to be the best either. I have found numerous posts that do not recommend him, used him myself at one point due to a friends recommendation, and once they dropped us off we did not see anyone again. 5 miles in, and no way to get the meat or our stuff out. If I really wanted to pack my own stuff in and out , I would have carried it myself. Plus they book soo many people in the same place. What elk or deer, they had all moved down to the private land to hide.

good luck and keep doing more research

Elkpacker, My experience with kip has been nothing like yours and I have hunted many times with them !

I know this thread is old but hopefully I can get some more out of it. Been looking at unit 24 hard to do a backpack hunt off the trailhead a ways for 2nd rifle season this fall and have been using google earth a lot too scout the land.

Seems like a lot of public forest service land and hopefully not much for an atv area, don't wanna be hunting with people running around on atvs and wanna get off the well beating path some to hopefully work hard for some success.

Anyone have any advice for a first timer? Looking to load up the Eberlestock's at the trail head and head out a ways for a couple days and set up tents and camp out there a ways to get in the back country.

Any tips on gear, clothing, strategy, food ect would be great

Thanks, Brett

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.