GMU 24 Colorado

I know this thread is old but hopefully I can get some more out of it. Been looking at unit 24 hard to do a backpack hunt off the trailhead a ways for 2nd rifle season this fall and have been using google earth a lot too scout the land.

Seems like a lot of public forest service land and hopefully not much for an atv area, don't wanna be hunting with people running around on atvs and wanna get off the well beating path some to hopefully work hard for some success.

Anyone have any advice for a first timer? Looking to load up the Eberlestock's at the trail head and head out a ways for a couple days and set up tents and camp out there a ways to get in the back country.

Any tips on gear, clothing, strategy, food ect would be great

Thanks, Brett

You are on the right path with doing what you can to get away from everyone. The one thing I will caution you on is the weather. 2nd rifle season can be 60 degrees and sunny or 5 degrees and snowing like crazy, and that can be in one day! Definitely prepare for the worst as you don't want to be 10 miles back in the middle of nowhere and have 2 feet of snow dump on you without the proper gear.

Thanks for the tip, ever been in that senario? What stuff would you bring if you did get some snow?

Also looking for the best base layers to use when your out hunting for a couple days and could get wet, damp, sweaty. It seems the merino wool socks shirts pants are pretty popular.

I've never been caught backpacking in with weather like that cause I don't backpack in that late :) I have been forced to break down camp early because of the weather though. You would obviously just need to make sure you had enough clothing to stay warm and enough gear to get you out safely.

As far as base layers go, under armour cold gear works fantastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.