Glock 20 and Brown Bear

I spoke to a tech at Glock regarding hot loads and guide rod springs for my 10mm and he said the 17 lb spring will handel it with no problem...took it to the range and Fed it Double tap 230 grain hard cast with after market barrel and had no problem.

Aria ballistics has a 10mm load with the cutting edge ballistics all coper solid, it's 190 gr and I'm not generally one to recommend lower weight when it comes to a defensive round for bone busting and such.

However, modern materials and designs, the cutting edge solids have a very solid reputation even though they are lighter weight for caliber bullets, the copper construction means they are longer for the weight though, seems to be evening out. There have been some penetration tests done on the Africa forum with big bores and they tend to be about as perfect as a bullet could be in performance. Deep straight penetration.

Just a thought, though that double tap load is a fantastic choice for sure, be interesting to see a test with some harder material penetration, couple wood boards angled at about 45 degrees, one forward, one back, then perhaps some jugs of water behind.

Fire several rounds and see how straight they track.

Bought to do something similar with my 500 S&W and the 400gr CEB solid, I built my 500 with a 1/12 twist barrel because I wanted to run the heavier 500-600s, but those CEB solids have been performing great for people, so I just have to try them and see.

Aria ballistics has a 10mm load with the cutting edge ballistics all coper solid, it's 190 gr and I'm not generally one to recommend lower weight when it comes to a defensive round for bone busting and such.

However, modern materials and designs, the cutting edge solids have a very solid reputation even though they are lighter weight for caliber bullets, the copper construction means they are longer for the weight though, seems to be evening out. There have been some penetration tests done on the Africa forum with big bores and they tend to be about as perfect as a bullet could be in performance. Deep straight penetration.

@calling4life: Thank you very much for posting this.

I've got a 458 lott load using the Hornady DGX bonded coming from them, they note 2600fps for over 7k ft/lbs.

Normal 500gr 458 lott load, like my Federal 500gr trophy bonded bearclaws, are 2250-2300 fps.

I also ordered their 500 S&W 400gr CEB solid load to try.

I bought a chrono as well to test and see what velocity I get, if it's materially close to what they note. But I spoke with the CEO, seems a genuine guy that loves big bores.

It'd be interesting to see that 10mm CEB solid tested for straight-line penetration, put up some angled boards or other "bone like" material and see if it keeps its straight-line trajectory or if it veers off course. (I don't tend to like penetration tests where everything is perpendicular, bear skull likely won't be perpendicular to a guy...)

I'll be doing that with that solid out of my 500 S&W, depth isn't so huge for me because they'll have the depth, it's the straight-line performance that matters.
General knowledge says sectional density is a good predictor of a bullets resistance to lateral forces, I. E. straight-line penetration abilities.
And that generally means the heavier the bullet the better.

But like I alluded to earlier, modern day materials, modern day ballistic engineers, the all copper solids being longer for weight, the proper sized MEPLAT/ flat front to facilitate straight penetration.

And they seem to do great. Though I like to test/verify for myself.

Last edited:
I haven't changed the spring as of yet. I have the Diamond D holster on order for my Ruger Alaskan .454, which I also sometimes carry.
Highly recommend if you shoot heavy real 10mm loads in G20 is too use a spring in the 22 pound range. I like NDZ stainless rod and 22 pound spring …..helps keeps your frame from taking a beating.

@calling4life: Thank you very much for posting this.
The Sierra 190gr FPJ was a good bullet for the 10mm but I beleve Sierra discontinued it . Great penetration also in 250 FPJ for the 44 Mag. The Federal Prem GM load in 44 Mag was a very popular load in Alaska and accounted for many grizzlies.

I had my Gen 4 G20 milled for no witness from the Glock Store . I going to use a Delta Pro on my trail pistol. My eyes are getting older I tell my wife my eyes for hunting are from Leupold.

Last edited:
So would you recommend a 22lb spring in it for anything thats a heavy load?
Yes it's easier on the polymer frame if you have a siffer spring. I replace both my Glocks with NDZ stainless Rod and in my G20 a 22 pound spring makes things run real smooth with real 10mm from Underwood ammo.
Easy to order from NDZ thru eBay make sure you get the correct Generation model for your pistol.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.png
    IMG_0688.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I have had to use my XD with my hand loads to ward off an aggressive 450# black bear boar before. I gave him every opportunity to just walk away, but he was bowed up, ears back and coming. My buddy was 20 yards away and witnessed the whole thing. I had made enough noise and was slowly backing out trying to keep the situation from escalating, but when he got inside 11 feet, I let the 45 ACP eat. Three shots into the chest and he hunched up and made it about 40 yards (luckily to my left) before he piled up.

I'm happy to see the Tucker & Byrd holsters on the site. Tucker is one of my best friends and I have about 10 (or more) of his holsters, three of which are like the ones pictured which are amazingly all day comfortable for duty when I'm not in uniform. I would also strongly suggest their belts which are so well made you'll be passing them on to your grandchildren. I have five or six of them and have worn them for at least 15 years and just keep getting better. They also make custom rigs for whatever you want to carry. He makes double belt rigs for Texas Rangers. I used to cut leather for him when I had time and he's the real deal.