Glass Qu8ality between VX 3I and VX6

Plinker147

Just curious about the difference in quality of glass between the two? Anyone have experience with both or VX3?

Sorry can't help but I too am interested.. Hopefully someone who has them will speak up!

I have two VX 6 scopes and a few vx3s. There is no comparison on glass qulity. The VX-6 blows the others away. Edge to edge sharpness, color rendetion, light transmission. You name it , the vx-6 is better on every level. But of course you pay for that.

Now having said that, the Vx-3 series are not bad scopes. More than enough scope for just about anything most hunters will pursue.

Every one has different taste and preconceived needs, Some just like to tout a certain brand.

+1 to Blacktail, I bought my first VX-6 and it is a nicer scope than the several VX-3's that I own! I had to save for it but it was worth it. Clarity, sharpness and everything about it is just a step above!

Thanks for info. I have a few vx 3s and was planning on a 6 for my next scope. Older My eyes get the more need for quality glass. VX 6 fits what I want, just haven't been able to look through one.

The VX 3I is new and has better glass than the VX-3 it replaces. VX-6 is a notch or two better glass still.

I'm just curious and I believe my question adds to the OP's question. I talked with a very knowledgeable person within the sales industry. I trust him to work on my stuff and I normally do everything myself so I believe what I was told. He said Leupold came out with the new VX-3I line and dropped their prices so they would be priced competitively with the Vortex Viper series. Now trust me I know for a fact even a VX-2 blows any viper out of the conversation so I am not saying they are comparable in terms of quality. Just saying I was told they were designed to compete on price. Now having said that I am wondering how all of a sudden Leupold finds a way to manufacture a "better" scope for $100 less after they have been in the business this long. Seems odd to me. So they are either taking less profit or something else is going on. Is the VX-3I really better than the VX-3 series? I'm thinking it can't be and its all marketing combined with something they changed to save money but I'm pretty sure it can't be better and be less money. Optics just don't work that way. Would love to hear from someone with more knowledge than myself on this.

I'm just curious and I believe my question adds to the OP's question. I talked with a very knowledgeable person within the sales industry. I trust him to work on my stuff and I normally do everything myself so I believe what I was told. He said Leupold came out with the new VX-3I line and dropped their prices so they would be priced competitively with the Vortex Viper series. Now trust me I know for a fact even a VX-2 blows any viper out of the conversation so I am not saying they are comparable in terms of quality. Just saying I was told they were designed to compete on price. Now having said that I am wondering how all of a sudden Leupold finds a way to manufacture a "better" scope for $100 less after they have been in the business this long. Seems odd to me. So they are either taking less profit or something else is going on. Is the VX-3I really better than the VX-3 series? I'm thinking it can't be and its all marketing combined with something they changed to save money but I'm pretty sure it can't be better and be less money. Optics just don't work that way. Would love to hear from someone with more knowledge than myself on this.

I wish I could comment on this subject with Knowledge. But my insider no longer works at Leupold. My thoughts are only a guess, but I would think that Leupold is taking a little less profit to gain market share and they changed manufacturing techniques to save $. The longer a tech is out the cheaper it becomes to produce.

I'm just curious and I believe my question adds to the OP's question. I talked with a very knowledgeable person within the sales industry. I trust him to work on my stuff and I normally do everything myself so I believe what I was told... ...Now having said that I am wondering how all of a sudden Leupold finds a way to manufacture a "better" scope for $100 less after they have been in the business this long. Seems odd to me. So they are either taking less profit or something else is going on. Is the VX-3I really better than the VX-3 series? I'm thinking it can't be and its all marketing combined with something they changed to save money but I'm pretty sure it can't be better and be less money...

My momma always told me if it sounds too good to be true...

If you review the history of Leupold advertising rhetoric over the past 4 decades, it's not too difficult to understand. Advertising works. How many boxes of breakfast cereal have you ever purchased that didn't say "New and Improved". We must be idiots... :D

I remember something to the effect they are making fewer models and made some changes in production that made them more efficient thus lowering the price.. Can't recall where I heard or read it tho.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.