Getting ready to load for my wife's AR ...

FEENIX

... Rock River Arms. Here's what I got ...

P1000187_zps726c6e8b.jpg

Once fired brass (mixed) are currently in the vib cleaner. This is my 1st time reloading for it and I appreciate any pointers.

Thank you in advance.

Ed

Hey Ed,

Looks like you're off to a good start here, but there's one or two other itmes I'd suggest adding since you're dealing with an auto here. Number one would be a case gage, be it an RCBS Precision Mic, a Redding Instant Indicator, a Stoney Point (Hornady) or even a L.E. Wilson. Doesn't matter, just so long as you've got something to make sure that you're setting the shoulders back .003" - .004" or so. Critical stuff here in making sure the gun will run, without overly working the brass. You've got S/B F/L dies there, so you're all set in the resizing dept. Good on ya'!

You've got both 7 1/2 and 205 primers there, and I'd suggest the Remingtons are being the better choice for an AR. The 205s may be a bit more susceptable to slam fires as they do run thinner cups. Never seen one in an AR (I have in M14s/M1As) but I just really don't like tempting Murphy if I don't have to.

As for the BL-C2 powder, it'll work. I'd suggest either Benchmark or H322, as well as our N135, as being better choices for the 55 grain bullets. Don't know what twist you've got in your wife's rifle, but if you move up to heavier bullets (69s-77s, etc.) you may want to move to something a bit slower, such as our N140, N540, Varget or Reloder 15. For competitive AR shooters, these are pretty much the powders of choice for that bullet range.

Aside from that, looks like you're pretty well set here. Let us know how it does!

Watch those primer pockets, you might be wasting some primers if they are crimped.

^^ Very good advise, i've had a few FUBAR on me. A crimp that wasn't removed properly will make short work of a primer.

I would also recommend paying close attention to your primer seating depth, you can tempt good ole Murphy (as Kevin puts it:rolleyes:) with improper seating depth. Make sure the primer is below flush with the case head, which should help mitigate a slam fire. I would suggest inspecting every case individually.

I still use Fed primers (AR-10 & 15), use due dilligence & either primer will treat you well. Varget is my go to powder in the AR-15 with a 205M & Hornady 68BTHP, the AR's eat it up (3 different rigs shoot this VERY well).

Watch your oal to ensure they feed properly & enjoy.

t

Thank you all for your recommendations and for taking the time to educate me on this matter, esp. on the safety aspect of it.

No rush on reloading so I'll do per your your advice so I do not have to deal with Murphy.

Again, I appreciate your time and efforts. Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.