Getting a new pickup, help me decide

bretterath

Im getting a 3/4 gas dodge or chevy. I have always had a 1/2 ton chevy and have had great luck with them. I use if mainly for hunting and fishing and pulling my camper which isn't very big and also pull a 16' enclosed trailer. I only put maybe 10k miles on a year, and thats a lot in a year for me.

Im looking for people that has had either one or both and pros and cons of each. I will be looking for something newer but maybe not brand new but around 30-40K miles on it. I will most likely have this truck for around 6-8 years. I was leaning towards a dodge since it would be something different and like the bigger back seat for more room for the kids. I also noticed that you can get a newer dodge with less miles and definitely cheaper. What are everyones thoughts on this decision. I know every truck can have issues and different issues i understand that but want to get something that will last me and be durable. Thanks

Go with what you always had good luck with. Unless you have heard something bad about them. F O R D stands for, found on road dead. Just kidding. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Not sure about chevys, but when the timing is right i have seen dodge trucks purchased new for 12000 to 15000 off msrp. At that rate, you may be able to buy new for similar price as used trucks with 30 to 50k. Check out dennis dillon dodge for a reference point. Not what you asked but I really like the Cummings. Good luck on your purchase.

I have had two 1/2 ton Chevy's and I miss them. I currently have a 3/4 ton Dodge (Hemi) and I really miss my Chevy. I know it's not apples to apples between the two. The chevy always felt like a really nice driving truck 80% of the time . . . until I actually loaded it up with 500 lbs of stuff and then it felt like a wallowing old cadillac with shot suspension. Since I was beating my Chevy up so much with wood hauling and trailering various things I decided I needed to step up to something more "manly" that could take whatever I throw at it.

Well . . . the Dodge can take it. It's a 2016 and I have 68,000 miles on it already. I drive the snot out of it and I'm not very nice to it.

Here's the rub, 80% of the time it's just a commuter car . . . and it's like sitting on a 2x6. It's stiff as he!!

If I could do it all over again, I probably would have saved up a little more and went with a 3/4 ton chevy.

OR . . . what I SHOULD have done . . . bought another brand new 1/2 ton Chevy AND an old beat up 3/4 ton Diesel dodge for wood hauling and trailering.

As a life-long Chev guy, I can't believe I'm writing this, but here it goes...

I know you wanted a Chev or a Dodge, but why not a Ford?

In my opinion, all newer vehicles are WAYYYY too dependent on electronics. Everything from heat/ac, to the lights, and even the 4x4 are controlled by electronics these days.

That said, I rented a F350 for work a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised that they still made them with manual locking hubs and a MANUAL shifter for the four wheel drive.

I've always felt that if one is going to keep a pickup for a long time, simplicity is best both to avoid the headache of problems but also to avoid the high repair bill.

I guess maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I prefer to have the ability to lock and unlock the 4x4 when I want it, not when the computer decides I need it.

A co-worker has been buying a new Cummins every few years forever.

In 2015, he got his last new diesel. He had so many issues- many of which were just electronic glitches that the dealer wouldn't or couldn't do anything about- that he finally traded it off on a Hemi.

He recently told me that although the Hemi is ok, he's thinking of selling it and going back to an older pickup without all the electronic bs.

Good luck in your search!

Ron

I have a 2013 Ram 2500 with the hemi. I've always had Cummins Dodges so going to a gasser was a bit of a change!! It's a good overall truck, good power and not very good mileage. I'm actually selling it right now to get a megacab.

My advice would be to drive all of them and pick the one you feel most comfortable driving. All in all, any one of the trucks out there will do what you want, however. If you have been a Chevy guy your whole life you will probably like the Chevy best. I was born and bred Ford, and have purchased a couple Chevy's because they were a "good deal" and hated every one of them....I believe we are all creatures of habit, or old dogs that have time learning new tricks.

Good Luck!

I drive a 2500 duramax 4x4. Not too many issues with. Thing is chevy 4x4s just drive well on roads and highways with the independent front suspension. When the wife and I take a long road trip, we always take the truck.

I understand what you mean about the room in a Dodge though. My brother drives one of the Dodge crew cabs with a short bed. His family loves all of the room.

If you need the room, you need the room.

bret, was in purchasing for a very large law enforcement agency, I was involved with researching vehicles for purchase. All 3/4 ton gasoline trucks get crappy mileage. We always bought diesels, even though initial cost was higher. Better mileage, longer engine life, much better pulling power. Good luck

My first new vehicle after years of used happened last year on a prairie dog trip. My old 94 Ford Explorer with 215,000 on it lost the trannie in South Dakota while towing my side by side. Came home with a new 2016 Ford F150. Couldn't be happier. Best part was I lucked out with a small town dealer that treated me right. As best I could tell I got about $2000 better deal than I could have at home. I texted my wife a photo of the window tag and and didn't say a word :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.