I'm getting a new gun

HRstretch

I\'m getting a new gun

As a reward at work, I am going to get a new gun soon. I was asked what I wanted.

I have a Ruger MKII .257 Roberts and a Remington .270 Win. model 721.

I will always hunt whitetail in texas so my .270 or .257 has that covered and they both can double as my hog gun.

I am leaning towards the .300 win mag or up.

I might go to New Mexico or Colorado in the next couple of years to due some mule deer and elk hunts.

Oh, I also intend to stay with the long action guns.

My available shooting range's here in Katy, texas are to 400 yards and if i can find a range start practicing for further out. I don't think I will ever be in the Long Range Hunting catagory but who knows? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Re: I\'m getting a new gun

im guessing it has to be a factory made/chambered gun?

sendero2 in 7rum or 300rum

[ QUOTE ]
As a reward at work, I am going to get a new gun soon. I was asked what I wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you work? How can I get a job there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The 300 Win sounds good for what you describe. Will they let you have a Sendero?

The other option is to get a play gun such as a 204, 17 Rem, 17HMR etc. They can be a lot of fun and are easy to shoot.

Your 721 270 Win when loaded right will do what you desire for mulies and elk for that occasional elk trip. Except if you get the pre-elk hunt hype and think you need something larger. If so I'd recommend 300 Win or Rum or maybe 338 Rum but either one would be more than you need and probably not shot often.

On the other end of the spectrum are the cartridges that buffalobob recommended and maybe a 223 just for ease of components.

My 270 is having a pressure issue to the barrel. I am sanding down a pressure spot on the 45+year old stock and will bed it as soon as my next pig hunt is over in March. I believe that my 270 would be fine for mule deer and elk, I have that much confidence in that old gun.

My boss wants me to move towards the 300RUM because he has one and I will be loading rounds for him. I just don't know that i need that much gun (Did I just say that LOL). Bass Pro has a Savage 116 FCSAK 300 win mag with a 24" barrel and a factory installed adjustable brake on a heavy fluted barrel for $429. But they also have a Remington XCR 300 win mag with ss 26" barrel that looks pretty good, too ($849).

If you have to go factory go with the ultra mag. I dont know what to get it in though. I know the old senderos shoot awesome but I haven't heard anything but horror stories on the new sendero. But then on hear there has been some people that have them that shoot good. I cant figure out what people say when they say I dont think I need that much gun. Are you kidding, If I could afford it I would have a fifty, and I would talk to kirby and have him design me a 20mm shoulder rifle. Thats when you can start wondering if you need that much gun. Bigger the better.

[ QUOTE ]
Bass Pro has a Savage 116 FCSAK 300 win mag with a 24" barrel and a factory installed adjustable brake on a heavy fluted barrel for $429. But they also have a Remington XCR 300 win mag with ss 26" barrel that looks pretty good, too ($849).

[/ QUOTE ]
Go with the savage an don't look back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif All you need to do is replace the factory stock and call it good..... unless you like the tupperware, then of course you dont have to. I have never heard of a savage ultra mag that didn't shoot sub-MOA.....

Im with sharpshooter the savage is an awesome gun I have owmed a savage 110 in 30-06 for about 8yrs and love it. But the Remington would be a good choice 2 those are time tested and just plain hard to beat. Im thinking about getting a new gun and I'm looking into a 7mm rum it could be loaded to do anything but so could a 300. for what you are doing any of these round will do great. If you are going for a factory chambered load a regular old 7mm rem mag is a relatively inexpensive round that will deffinately pack enough punch for anything in North America.

Have you shot at the American Shooting Center over there by Addicks? I think they have a range out to 1K, but you have to qualify to shoot it. I checked on it a while back, but it is a haul for me and possibly for you as well.

There is also a couple of other clubs in the area which have ranges out to 1k, if your interested, I can get you an email for someone who might be able to help out with them.

Shot me a line at the addy in my profile.

My bud Tim has a 300 RUM in a Sendero that he sent out to Kirby and had a brake installed. That thing shoots extreemly fine. Recoil is probably similar to your 257, only he is pushing 185's to 3400fps.

Mike/Tx
I have shot there once last weekend. They have 100, 200, 300, 400, 600 yard ranges. My boss and I were shooting 200 and 300 hundred to get started shooting at these distance. The 400 and 600 yard ranges are fixing to be closed for some work, but not sure for how long. I am cleaning copper out of the .270 and relieving a pressure point at the forend of my stock and will be back out there saturday to see if what I have done this week helps.

There are a couple of 1000yard ranges in the houston area but are membership ranges. I am not there yet to start shooting that distant. Soon though.

Funny last weekend his old 25-06 that hasn't been cleaned in forever with a 3X5 redding scope shot better than the four other guns we shot. go figure

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.