I'm thinking about getting a dog.

Re: I\'m thinking about getting a dog.

Talk to some breaders they ALL have pups that are not of show or bread quality.(cheap).

I see a lot of Drahthars here in Germany and i personaly wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. But thats personal Preference i aren't keen on them. Drahts are stubborn, pig headed and need a heavey hand, they need to be made aware of who the alfa male is regularly.
having said that, they respond to training well,are highly intelligent and they make an excellent deer dog, or an excellent bird dog, they are hardy and willing, if you have the work for such a dog then a Draht is a good hunting dog. The problems i see with them here in Germany are 1 where a dog is required to bring down a wounded deer one month but not to chase a deer during a pheasant hunt a month later. And 2 where the dog doesn't get much work and goes mad when it finaly gets chance to chase something. I'm a firm believer in having a dog for a particular application. I have an English Springer Spaniel, she is a fantastic bird / rabbit/ hare dog. she will blood trail too. But she is not a dog for bringing down a wounded beast. she isn't hyper like most spaniels.
If i had to have a drahthaar as a bird dog i would choose a small bitch, they seem to behave and are less pig headed.
If i wanted one as a deer dog, i'd pick a large dog.
If you have enough time to train and work a drahthaar correctly they are a superb dog, if you only hunt occasionaly and don't have lots of time for the dog, then you would be better off with something with less temparament, like a labrador.
Pete

Tho and Pete. Thanks for your input.

I won't be hunting deer with it but I did think about training it to run coyotes back to the shooter. A friend of mine made the same point you did. He said "What do you think the dog will do when you are out hunting phesants and it crosses a coyote track? If you don't want it to take of looking for the coyote then don't train it that way." Message understood.

Thanks again guys.

Out here in Eastern NC, running deer and foxes with dogs is a big sport. There are several fox pens that decided to turn coyotes out in the pen. BAD IDEA. On several incidents, the coyotes turned on deer dogs (mainly walkers) and the outcome it not pretty, a wild dog is much tougher than your average family dog. This isn't to say that the coyote will immediately turn on the dog before the shooter gets a chance to shoot him, but I would not want to put a good bird dog in the way of a coyote intintially. Just my .02

The coyote running I'm talking about is not the typical persuit that I think you are talking about. It is where your trained dogs present themselves to view by coyotes and then they run back to the shooter with the territorial coyotes chasing them. When the coyotes stop their chase the dogs run back and get them fired up again. After a few back and forth chasings about the shooter dumps the coyote as they stand in range watching the dogs.

E.L.K. Products has a series of videos showing this being done and it is remarkable. When the dogs are present the coyotes will hang around even after one of them has been shot.

Hell ive seen Muntjak deer chase spaniels and labs, agressive little sods they are. I figure a Drahthaar could hold its own against a coyotee, most of the shoots i go on the things end up scrapping with each other anyway.
If you do get one, keep it to one disciplin. If you do want to cross train it, then train it to stalk deer and blood trail on a leash. don't let it chase a wounded deer. teach it to stalk and point deer first, blood trail second and as a bird dog third. Bieng steady to deer will mean it will be steady on other game, it must point and it must stay pointing until you command it to spring the game. It will learn that deer are associated with the leash. when it is running free it is after small game/birds. Thoroughly train it, study the best training material available, work the dog often and refresher training is also important.
good luck !!
Pete

Dankeschoen zum das hilf Herr Lincoln. Wie heist das jegerhund aus Deutchland?
(Thanks for the help Mr. Lincoln. What do they name hunting dogs from Germany?)

I didn't do so well in my college German class AND it has been many years but I figured I would give it a go. Mostly I'm wondering what types of names they give to bird dogs over there.

Also I have pretty much decided to limit the training to common obediance training, pointing upland birds and retreiving ducks and geese. Training in these areas however will hopefully be thorough.

4ked Horn,
Be cautious about that dog method of "attracting" yotes. It'll work pretty well from mating season. It helps if the dog doesn't have a tail. Tails kinda get shreaded from time to time. Videos I saw used Rotts. My catahoulas flat put the run on them. Dogs came back later that day, every time I went.....

After yote pups are weaned and before mating season, the in between times, the chase dog will usually end up surrounded with yotes. Not pretty.

BTW, why not an English Setter? They can be just as "nice" around the house if started that way. Though you gotta watch 'em. My brother's setter ate the center out of his birthday cake as it cooled on the porch.... What the hey, he, my brother, just ate around the edges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Videos I saw used Rotts. My catahoulas flat put the run on them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which videos are those? And what is a catahoula?

[ QUOTE ]
After yote pups are weaned and before mating season, the in between times, the chase dog will usually end up surrounded with yotes. Not pretty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Makes me want to get a dog costume. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I usually avoid the desert in the snake months anyway. We usually quit coyote hunting as it warms up and focus more on rockchucks in Twin Falls. The videos say the dogs won't want to run in the warm months anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, why not an English Setter?

[/ QUOTE ]
One word: Hair.

I've read that they are higher than average shedders and our neighbor who uses his neighbors english setter to hunt with says that it is a pain to pull or cut out thistles and burrs compared to his own pudelpointers wire like top coat.

I'll check out the video at the local jip joint. Don't recall the maker.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention those burrs re: setters or any thing with long hair. Bummer.

Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog - Orginated in LA Catahoula Parish (county). One hell of a dog. I herded Cattle, sheep, goats. Treed coon chased cats and coyotes and had a dang good time with them. Entered stock dog trials and competed favorably against some of the northwest's best border collies and aussie shepards. Oh, and they are the best hog dogs ever. Went to a couple of hod dog trials down in Conroe TX. What a hoot. Have videos somewhere.

They can be a kind of tease dog. That is anything that will chase them they will egg on and bring hogs to the trap or a griz to you lap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But if it runs they'll tree it or bay it up.

4KD Horn Your German aint all that bad. popular german names for wirehaireds here are:
Dogs:
Basco / Basko
Rex
Artus
Igor
Bitches:
Vinny
Mira
Lissy
Xira
Ria

there are others, but thats the few that come to mind..
Pete

4ked horn - I see another poll here. Pick your dogs name. On second thought the name for your dog is a little more personal than that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Let us know what you decide.

4ked Horn, I have a three year old GWR. She stays in the house only when myself or wife are
around. During the day when we work she stays in her kennel.
Like previous post have stated, lots of energy, and if bored she will comence on destroying something. I trained Lexy for upland bird, and It was remarcabaly easy. She had good pointing instinct, and a desire to hunt. We had are first cild when lexy was about 16 mo old, and have not had a single problem between dog and baby. The best way to keep GWR out of trouble is lots of exercise, this keeps them tierd. I run mine through field and dirt roads during the year, somtimes upto 6 to 10 miles a trip.
Word of caution, GWR's were trained to hunt a variety of game, this stays in there blood. So you might have to discourage her from "working" other critters. Training collars with long reach work good for this. The one plus is, I have no feral cats anymore. She controls them all by her self. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Those names don't sound as german as what I was hoping for. Oh well I have plenty of time to come up with a name.

It reminds me of when I first started taking german in school. My mom wanted me to learn just one sentence that "really sounded german". You know, beacuse as soon as anyone knows you speak a foreign language they want you to say something in that language. So this is the sentence I came up with to tell mom and others that asked: "Ich speile mit mein schnidleputz und schlaffen mit meine schwester." When I told mom what it meant she nearly fell over in laughter. This was immeadiately followed by the dread that only a mother could have that my teacher would find out that I had concocted ths sentence to show everyone what I had learned. I didn't dare tell mom that we learned most of the four letter words translated to german in the first week of class.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts