Gettin' a new gun

Kenster-Boy

Gettin\' a new gun

I am going to get a new gun. So what do you think?

I am thinking of a 7mm rem mag for the caliber. A Savage 110 FP with a Choate stock topped with a Leupold 6-18X40mm AO Target scope. Finish it off with a Harris Bipod.

This will be my last gun for a while and I hope it to get me to 1000 yds eventually. Oh and not to forget I am going to have a Leica Rangefinder. Does this sound like a suitable setup?

Re: Gettin\' a new gun

The set up sounds good. You mentioned getting to 1000 yards, however I am not sure what else you want to use the rifle for. 7mm mag can handle all North American game and make the trip to 1000 yards.

I think that a 300 mag, or a 300 RUM would be better suited for the 1000 yard work since there are heavier bullets (better for the wind) and a larger selection of bullets in .30 caliber.

Just my opinion.........

Frank D

Make sure gun barrel hs the twist is at least 9 1/2 or 9 and the 7 RM or 7 WSM will be able to use the high BC bullets that you need. The heavy/high BC bullets in the 7 are hgher BC than the 30 cals so will work extremely well. They need the 9 or 9 1/2 twist though. 10 twist will not work for them.

Personal opinion but I would chunk the Choate and order the BVSS and save money. Put 20MOA Ken Farrel base or burris double dovetails with burris signature rings and the .015 inserts in front and back rings to give you 30 MOA (less than $80) and strong as heck.

BH

[ 06-07-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

Looking through the Savage catalogue, the 112BVSS is the only model in either 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag which comes with a 26" barrel (heavy, fluted). All other models in these chamberings are 24". I figure the extra 2" might come in handy for squeezing out a bit more velocity.

I've just ordered my first dedicated LR rig. I chose the 112BVSS in 7mm Rem Mag and purchased a used Leupold 3.5-10x50 VariX-III tactical scope. I'll use Burris signature series dual dovetail rings with the offset inserts and a Harris 9"-13" hinged bipod. I've also bought a Leica 1200 scan model rangefinder.

By the time I've got the reloading components I might just be able to afford to go hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.