Gerber Gut-hook

Ian M

Guys, if you field dress critters you have to get one of these things - we just had a couple down on a hunt in Texas and they are amazing. Opened up them hoggies like they had zippers on their bellies. Very simple tool, sort of like the old Wyoming gut-hook, but this Gerber uses replaceable blades from box-cutters, it is all plastic, shaped perfectly for opening up critters - and it only costs something like 12 bucks!!! Comes with a nylon carrying sheath and spare blades.
No idea where to buy one, maybe someone here can suggest good sources.

Ian, i don't think you can beat a decent knife. Ive treid all the other gimicks and ive settled on a great little knife i bought in the Hanau PX. Ive a fold away saw i bought in a garden centre for sawing through the ribs and the pelvic bone (schloss in german).Still i'd be interested in trying anything that is new.
Pete

Pete,
If you can find the Gerber I believe you would be impressed. The guides on the ranches we hunted were using them, these guys unzip a lot of critters in a year. Surprised how reasonable priced it is.
I have never had much success with guthooks on knives, but this tool worked so well I am going to get one.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.