Gentry brake??

Rolf

Hi
I`ve done my homework on muzzle brakes by reading old threads but can`t find anything on this so ....

Has anyone of you tried Gentrys muzzle brake? It`s the only one that they say doesn`t increase the noice level. It almost sounds to good to be true but I e-mailed them and they said that it did raise the noice level, by one decibel!:)
So some first hand info would be great.

Rolf, Sweden.

Their is no such thing as a quiet brake if its quiet then it ain't gonna work to well.

brakes work by redirecting the muzzel blast from the front to the sides , in all actualality the noise level from a braked gun to a non braked gun measured at the shoot is little differance in actual measured decibles , it may be precieved as being louder but your still gonna need hearing protection , now standing 3 feet to the side is huge differance.

I have shot a couple guns with the Gentry brake and the brake does work but not nearly as well as others.

If your going through the trouble of have a brake installed git a good one that works well.

Or better yet use a suppressor , I figure that they would endorse that where you live

Thanks for your help James.

Would be great if you could recommend both a muzzle brake and a suppressor.
If there`s a couple of brakes that`s equally good I would prefer a slimmer one that you can shape like an extension of the barrel.

Rolf

Well , as far as the suppressors go they are all egneraly about 1.5" in OD and the ones for the bigger magnums go as big as 2"OD.

Surefire makes a god setup that is a brake fitted to the gun desgined to fast attach the suppressor but you must use their brake and their can , most other rifle suppressors are desgined to just thread on via 5/8x24tpi threads. The suppressor is going to change the point of impact so you will need to site in with it on and off and make sure you remember what the POI change is. The suppressor acts like a brake and they are egneraly about as effective as reducing recoil as a decient brake ,once you have one I'd just leave it on their as their is no real reason to take it off other than to make the gun shorter. Their are several great can out their for high power rifles the two that are at the top of the list right now are the SRT Shadow and the SWR Omega 300 , both will bring the 300 win mag noise down to where you can shoot without ear plugs and wipe out around 40% recoil. I personaly make my own , they are a little bigger but work better and for a target or long range hunting rifle the added 2" in length or 4-6 oz is never even noticed , here in the US we can make our own suppressor by filing a form 1 with the ATF and paying the $200 tax , this way I'm putting maybe $200 in materials into the suppressor and the $200 tax where if I were going to by a can of this quality it would cost around $1500 plus the $200 tax and another $100-$200 for the class three dealer to transfer it !!!

As far as a great bake goes , the V-port brake from Straight Shot Gunsmithing is the one I like the best , its realy effective and looks cool but any of the better built baffel style brakes like Shawn Carlock's work very well
here is the V-port brake and the link to its web site.
va1.jpg

Welcome To My Website

James, I would really like to see a photo of your supressors if you would. Could you give a little detail on how you built it and material you use?

I don't have any pics of the complete unit yet , I just got back another form 1 Friday and I plan to take pics of all of it as it comes together. I have been playing with differant desgines and looking at patens from the top rated suppressors and have found that a cone or better yet a stepped cone style is the best for reducing the signature on high power rifles. I have made two with K-baffels and they worked well but the cones are more effecient on rifle cans. I reciently built one for a buddy for his 338 Lapua (see note below) , everything on the suppressor was made from titanium except the rear end cap and that was 316 for the sake of not galling as easy as titanium does. I have made three of my own two from 316 SS and one from 304 SS. I get a great deal on 316 bar stock from an old boss of mine and the seamless tubing can be had for around $40 a foot.
My next can will be all titanium , 3al-2.5v seamless tubing and 6al-4V bar stock for the baffels , over all wall thickness will be .095" and it will be fully welded so weakening the tube with threds is a non issue. The strength of titanium drops like a rock at temps in the 700 deg range but on a bolt gun it'll never get close to that , even on a semi auto it would be had and expensive.
My desgine is alot like AAC's , I use a thin wall tube for the inner tube to hold the baffels together then its press fit into an outter sleave and welded in place to give a wall thickness around .80" to .100". My baffels now have two small shoulders on them so that they can be pressed into the tube yet maintain even spacing and straitness , I then run a length of all thread through it with a nut and washer on each end to tighten the whole stack together for welding ,then its tacked so it won't pull then fully welded with a tig rig , so you have somthing like this

pic of the core:
762SDcore.jpg

The over all OD on this is .005" bigger than the tube used for the sleeve , the outer tube is then baked to 400 degs and the inner tube is frozen this generaly allowseither a slip fit or barely snug fit then its pressed together and when the teps equalize its as good as one solid piece , the ends are then welded and your done.

Or you can use one piece of tube and have your baffels just slip fit in them , this is how the K-baffels work.

here is a K-baffel I made

1.jpg

4.jpg

Shoot me an E-mail and we can disscuss everything alot further

NOTE : it is legal to build a suppressor for sombody else as long as they have their completer form 1 with them and they are presant the ENTIRE time , they also have to have controle of ALL of the orats kept with the form 1 at all times

I have a gentry muzzle brake on my .340WBY and shooting the 250 grs 2950fps
its very effective feels like shooting 30/06 with 180 grs.
also used it recent elk hunt shooting barnes x 180grs and the recoil is light like shooting a 270 WIN .
Thus I do recommend it , jus t remember any MB are all very loud .

I have a Gentry on a 7mm RM. Sound as shooter is no worse than no brake. To the side it is a different story. Also if you are shooting prone any brake with ports on the bottom will lift the gun and kick up dust/dirt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.