Gas

Its going to get way worse.jpg

When the government adds a new regulation to any industry that costs a company money who do you think they pass that cost onto? They sure as heck and going to absorb that cost. It gets passed onto the Consumers.
Maximizing profits is not a legal obligation. It is the way to have a competitive market place that drive down costs.
Nobody here, including me, is saying to just let oil companies run wild. Some regulations are absolutely necessary. Nobody said to let them pollute anything. Or pay less fees. But when their is more supply (oil drilling/production)than demand it drives cost down. Low supply equals high demand which raises cost.
I worked in the oil industry for several years. Watched several companies go under. The big companies have enough money to weather a bust. Smaller ones are forced to sell.
Costs get passed on to consumers.....in every single business in the world. And you are correct, in recent times, some smaller oil companies have gone out of business. That is mostly because in early 2020 there was a pricing war b/w Saudi's and Russia that was happening (driving oil prices down) about the time Covid kicked in and shut everything down (reducing demand). Suddenly, there was far more supply than demand and the price of oil actually went below $0 at that time and some smaller oil producers went into bankruptcy, which helped contribute to the single largest short term reduction in oil production in our history in spring 2020. That reduction ended our brief stint as a net exporter of petroleum. The economy then began recovering rather quickly from Covid and demand has sky-rocketed, while production recovery has lagged (can't just turn the switch back on). My point is that much of the current situation has more to do with world events than it does either political party. But I know that's not what anyone wants to hear, which is a whole other and much bigger problem in and of itself....at least for the US.

I do completely agree with you that regulations need to be reasonable. And I completely agree with motrapper that we need to allow drilling/extraction in suitable areas. The question then becomes what regs are reasonable and what locations are suitable. And that's way beyond the scope of discussion here.

But back to the OP, we're at $4.69-$4.89 gal for Diesel in central ID. I'd be curious to hear what Len heard from the Fidelity analysts. I'm a pessimist by nature and know the world is on a bad trajectory, but I'd be curious to hear their forecasts for the markets.

You have my undivided attention. Can you give any more info?
Don't want this to turn in political. This is just some information I got for my financial stability.
Well, I can't/won't tell anyone to anything with their Stocks/Funds you may be knowledgeable enough to manage your funds or have an advisor. This information is what I was recently told by a financial advisor. If you have a retirement fund, savings, 401K, stocks YOU need to talk to your advisors before making any financial decisions.
The stock market is in the "Correction Phase". The First Quarter is "Negative" if there are two Negative Quarters in a row the Markert goes into a "Recession". Forecasts are showing that the second Quarter will be "Negative".
Our Portfolio has had an 11% loss since January and continues to decline. I was strongly advised, by Fidelity, to "Re-Balance " our portfolio. On the scale of Risk Investment, we were about in the middle. The higher the risk the greater gain/loss. The lower the less gain or loss. Right now even in the Middle it is a Loss. Was strongly advised to change to lower risk funds to help save what we have left. Being on a Fixed Income and originally set up our account to be able to take 4-6 % out annually for retirement funds and still have growth in our account. Since January we lost several future years for Retirement funds.
Speaking on what is happening in the future. No one has a Crystal Ball, but does not look good. Previous years we had Covid, but the markets did fair well and was still on the up side.
The US economy has been declining this past year. Loss of US Natural Resources for Energy Independence, Unfair Trade between the US China India, Russia, EU. More products need to be made in the US.
Inflation is in an over 40 year high with Government overspending and printing money that we don't have and will continue to rise. Manufacturing, Jobs in the USA will increase the Product Supply line and help level out inflation, but Government has to stop overspending, printing money with giving out checks to everyone.
Now with the addition of the War in Ukraine and what Russia and China will do??? The Russian Stock Market was Closed for over two weeks. When it does open there will be a run on their stocks. There is a lot of ties between Russia and the USA so there is going to be an effect there.
I was told that the Recession is coming and what is now going on is not short term. Could last for years past this current administration.
Scared the heck out of me!
EDIT:
3/10/22 1:15PM WH Press Brief

Everyone should have watched the WH Press Brief. Jen Psaki had all your answers on Inflation, Oil & Energy, besides the War in Ukraine with the US involvement. You could have got an understanding on the inflation that started in 2021, why it continues to rise and when may level out and to the point of this Thread. Natural Resources - Fossil Fuels. Crude Oil & Natural Gas which the US and most of the world depends on. These two products in natural form make Natural Gass for home Heating, Gasoline, Deisel, Jet fuel, Heating Fuel Oil, Plastics. Medical Use along with hundreds if not thousands other everyday products. Just from two Natural Fossil Fuel Items where the US has the largest reserves and "WAS" the largest suppliers on this earth.
People read and investigate for yourself on why GAS is so expensive now.
I could put a Short List out, but then getting into Political and crossing LRH Guidelines.
Educate yourself! If the public was really educated in US policies we would not be where we are now.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what gas prices are. Since I work from home due to the Covid situation ( which because almost all the employees in my company love, looks like will be a permanent situation), I only fill my truck once a month or less. I literally put just barely over 1,000 miles on my truck in 2021. Edited: Math is hard, I DIDN'T even put 1,000 miles on my truck in 2021

I honestly don't know what gas prices are. Since I work from home due to the Covid situation ( which because almost all the employees in my company love, looks like will be a permanent situation), I only fill my truck once a month or less. I literally put just barely over 1,000 miles on my truck in 2021. Edited: Math is hard, I DIDN'T even put 1,000 miles on my truck in 2021
Lucky man. I'm fortunate being retired I don't have to drive much either. Truck hasn't moved since hunting season for me ended in December. Soon towing my boat will happen. I think I'll selective fish local lakes and not drive far to do it. I just won't pay any more than I have to for gasoline. This won't last forever. Not getting any younger tho so it'll have to end sooner than later or I will be throwing alot of money doing what I love to do. Can only let these prices manage me so long.

Don't want this to turn in political. This is just some information I got for my financial stability.
Well, I can't/won't tell anyone to anything with their Stocks/Funds you may be knowledgeable enough to manage your funds or have an advisor. This information is what I was recently told by a financial advisor. If you have a retirement fund, savings, 401K, stocks YOU need to talk to your advisors before making any financial decisions.
The stock market is in the "Correction Phase". The First Quarter is "Negative" if there are two Negative Quarters in a row the Markert goes into a "Recession". Forecasts are showing that the second Quarter will be "Negative".
Our Portfolio has had an 11% loss since January and continues to decline. I was strongly advised, by Fidelity, to "Re-Balance " our portfolio. On the scale of Risk Investment, we were about in the middle. The higher the risk the greater gain/loss. The lower the less gain or loss. Right now even in the Middle it is a Loss. Was strongly advised to change to lower risk funds to help save what we have left. Being on a Fixed Income and originally set up our account to be able to take 4-6 % out annually for retirement funds and still have growth in our account. Since January we lost several future years for Retirement funds.
Speaking on what is happening in the future. No one has a Crystal Ball, but does not look good. Previous years we had Covid, but the markets did fair well and was still on the up side.
The US economy has been declining this past year. Loss of US Natural Resources for Energy Independence, Unfair Trade between the US China India, Russia, EU. More products need to be made in the US.
Inflation is in an over 40 year high with Government overspending and printing money that we don't have and will continue to rise. Manufacturing, Jobs in the USA will increase the Product Supply line and help level out inflation, but Government has to stop overspending, printing money with giving out checks to everyone.
Now with the addition of the War in Ukraine and what Russia and China will do??? The Russian Stock Market was Closed for over two weeks. When it does open there will be a run on their stocks. There is a lot of ties between Russia and the USA so there is going to be an effect there.
I was told that the Recession is coming and what is now going on is not short term. Could last for years past this current administration.
Scared the heck out of me!
EDIT:

Everyone should have watched the WH Press Brief. Jen Psaki had all your answers on Inflation, Oil & Energy, besides the War in Ukraine with the US involvement. You could have got an understanding on the inflation that started in 2021, why it continues to rise and when my level out and to the point of this Thread. Natural Resources - Fossil Fuels. Crude Oil & Natural Gas which the US and most of the world depends on. These two products in natural form make Natural Gass for home Heating, Gasoline, Deisel, Jet fuel, Heating Fuel Oil, Plastics. Medical Use along with hundreds if not thousands other everyday products. Just from two Natural Fossil Fuel Items where the US has the largest reserves and "WAS" the largest suppliers on this earth.
I could put a Short List out, but then getting into Political and crossing LRH Guidelines.
Educate yourself! If the public was really educated in US policies we would not be where we are now.
Thanks for that. I had a hunch the forecast for the future was very grim, thanks to Brandon.

EDIT:

Everyone should have watched the WH Press Brief. Jen Psaki had all your answers on Inflation, Oil & Energy, besides the War in Ukraine with the US involvement. You could have got an understanding on the inflation that started in 2021, why it continues to rise and when may level out and to the point of this Thread. Natural Resources - Fossil Fuels. Crude Oil & Natural Gas which the US and most of the world depends on. These two products in natural form make Natural Gass for home Heating, Gasoline, Deisel, Jet fuel, Heating Fuel Oil, Plastics. Medical Use along with hundreds if not thousands other everyday products. Just from two Natural Fossil Fuel Items where the US has the largest reserves and "WAS" the largest suppliers on this earth.

brandon and ****-aki want you to think that high gas prices didnt start until russia invaded ukraine but that's a lie. we've been at $3+ a gallon since that pipeline was hacked last year. inflation has been an issue since brandon took office. he campaigned on fixing it, but all he does is blame it on trump when someone asks him about it.

they're doing the same thing to fossil fuels that they try to do with guns/ammo. they want it to be so expensive that you turn to other alternatives. "can't afford to drop $80 for a tank of gas every week? go spend $40k on a tesla, easy fix." elon musk himself said there isnt enough green energy to build his cars, let alone run them all.

brandon and ****-aki want you to think that high gas prices didnt start until russia invaded ukraine but that's a lie. we've been at $3+ a gallon since that pipeline was hacked last year. inflation has been an issue since brandon took office. he campaigned on fixing it, but all he does is blame it on trump when someone asks him about it.

they're doing the same thing to fossil fuels that they try to do with guns/ammo. they want it to be so expensive that you turn to other alternatives. "can't afford to drop $80 for a tank of gas every week? go spend $40k on a tesla, easy fix." elon musk himself said there isnt enough green energy to build his cars, let alone run them all.
"Hiring" a Senator for President is probably the worst thing that can be done! They can't run anything, but their mouth! If there has ever been a prime example for the need for term limits in the legislative bodies, this is it! I saw E-85 (FlexFuel only) for $3.35 yesterday. Unleaded with no meth was $3.49, but 'road' diesel was $4.999

Hold on till November. It'll start turning around then. Cost will still be high if we don't start drilling and producing again but conservatives will by and large be in charge. 2024 Republicans is run it better and get back on track. No more smoke and mirrors. All politicians are corrupt. Republicans aren't any better in terms of that fact. They just seem to manage our economy a little better with less spending. They all do what's best for themselves more than the country in general. The last president wasn't perfect but he did this country right.

We were at $4.34 here in my section of Eastern Oregon. I'm glad the closest lake is 9 miles from town.