Garmin Xero C1 Pro

If Lab Radar drops the Suggested retail price by 15 to 20%, or throws in an option for free, we will have an interesting race. IMHO
We just started getting promotional emails from LR on the LR and accessories. Have never received an email since we bought and registered two LR units. Guess they are concerned with the new Garmin on the market. The cost $625 direct from LR.
Garmin $600.

I am an electronics whore, but I just cannot see me switching from the LR. The range I typically use can be crowded at times. I have a hard case, the LR external battery pack, aiming device, inertia trigger with both the velcro and magnetic mounts and a short cheap heavy tripod that helps fit the LR directly under the bench. I suck a math at times, because I try to input too many data points, so the LR makes it easy for me to extrapolate my downrange ballistics, then I can go over to the 200yd line or out to the farm for 500yds to verify that the BC calculations are correct.

I will admit, the compact size and the fact it will work with just about any projectile, makes it very tempting, especially the prospect of tracking birdshot velocities.

Going to be hard to sell a LR with this Garmin coming out. I like our LR, (we bought two less than 18 months ago) but don't like carrying the big orange case around. We pride ourselves on having the best reloading and shooting gear. It will be hard for me to sell an almost new LR for a big loss to then buy a Garmin. I'll bet that you will start seeing a lot of Garmin at the range and a lot of used almost new LR in the classifieds.
I wish that I didn't see this. Might have to start selling off some inventory of bullets.

I don't know that I'd sell off Chrono's before more reporting comes out now that more user reviews are coming. I believe the Garmin is a great unit and the app integration seems to be there initially. There are some deeper data collection and usability features that I'd like to see implemented though from a user standpoint like these

- ability to start/create sessions directly from the phone app

- the ability to have data sync in realtime while shooting on the phone

- the ability to edit and add shots to a previous session after closing it out without the need to create a new dataset

- the ability to log down range velocity at set intervals (i.e. MV/25/50/75/100 readings)

- ability to show data in chart/graph forms

- ability to calculate true BC based on G1/G7/4DOF models

These are some feature available in the FX Ballistics Chrono and presumably they should be able to be implemented via firmware/software updates in the Garmin unit. If so, i think this would really solidify this as the one to get maybe.

Can confirm that the unit can pick up shotgun shots. Only did 2 on the sporting clays range, but picked up both without hesitation. Was shooting Federal 1250 fps loads. Never could get the Labradar to do this.

Attachments

• IMG_5950.jpeg
    IMG_5950.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 81
In this case, I disagree. The only main competition the Garmin has right now is the Labradar. Most other chronographs on the market are at a different price point or a bit obscure. I have a $140 competition electronics optical and it does most of what I need. Otherwise I'll grab my 1st gen magneto speed. Between the two, I can get what I need for load development and long distance shooting. Point being, I don't need the Labradar nor the Garmin to meet my needs. Most other shooters probably don't either. The cheaper, small company produced products work just fine here too. I think there is still a market for the less expensive products.

There's many of us out there that didn't jump on the Labrador bandwagon. Seemed like a lot of hassle at the range and many, many up charges on accessories. I have been wondering for quite some time why someone didn't make a smart, easy to operate chronograph. Labradar didn't seem to fit in that category to me. Garmin, on the other hand, has seemed to figure it out…from my perspective. So…like anything in the free market, it's time to innovate with a new competitor on scene or become history.

Lastly, I like this big company so much they live in my stock portfolio. I use their products in aviation, marine/fishing, I have one of their fitness watches, and have used their handheld GPSs in the field at work for…decades. There stuff just works, and works well. That being said, Garmin's arrival in the shooting industry is welcome…from me anyways.

Now, when we talk about Bass Pro swallowing Cabela's, I can totally agree with you there. Not a great outcome…
Agreed. I have a Garmin watch, power meter for my triathlon bike, a bike computer, a rear facing bike radar, dog collar and my handheld GPS. Their stuff just works. And when it doesn't (which is rarely) I've been able to talk to someone and have them walk me right through any issues that I have. I'm glad to see Garmin enter the chrono world.

A buddy and I put 117 shots out of 2 300wsm"s and a 7/6.5PRC across the Garmin and two Labradars yesterday. None of the three missed a shot. The two LR averaged 2fps difference between the two, with the exception of one shot which was 10fps. The Garmin averaged 6-8fps slower than the two LR. If I were to guess which one was actually the most accurate I would probably put my money on the Garmin,, if I were a betting man. Not 100% sure it actually matters as long as it's consistent.The Garmin was stooopid easy to setup.

A friend of mine sent me a pic...he compared the Garmin to the LR and Magneto speed....interestingly enough his Garmin averaged faster velocities than the other two.

1697982254027.jpeg

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
A buddy and I put 117 shots out of 2 300wsm"s and a 7/6.5PRC across the Garmin and two Labradars yesterday. None of the three missed a shot. The two LR averaged 2fps difference between the two, with the exception of one shot which was 10fps. The Garmin averaged 6-8fps slower than the two LR. If I were to guess which one was actually the most accurate I would probably put my money on the Garmin,, if I were a betting man. Not 100% sure it actually matters as long as it's consistent.The Garmin was stooopid easy to setup.

A friend of mine sent me a pic...he compared the Garmin to the LR and Magneto speed....interestingly enough his Garmin averaged faster velocities than the other two. 🤷‍♂️
My limited experience within 1fps in a short string. Good enough for me.

Attachments

• 71960933269__D3852F16-ADC3-4702-A873-4BAE375D8355.jpeg
    71960933269__D3852F16-ADC3-4702-A873-4BAE375D8355.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 66
Placed my back-order thru Area 419 yesterday just hours after they released their YouTube video on it. Wow! 2000 shots between recharges with no missed shots during testing. I plan to compete with it attached to the rifle through the whole match, so I can immediately check for a velocity change when I have a high or low miss.

Beware the change in POI when you attach it to yore rifle.......

POI changes when you attach it to the barrel. Not the "rifle". Certainly not to an arca rail.
It may not be as noticeable, or even significant, but anything you do to your stock, your rail, or anything, especially when it changes the weight or balance distribution of the rifle system, can cause the harmonics of the system to change.