Garmin 64s

clamb4

Does the Garmin 64s seem to be the best bang for the buck. I want to only use it for hunting so I can tell if I am on private or public land and normal track functions. If combined with the on x map chips it seems like it would be ideal. Don't think I need the 64st because the chips have a topo map that's better than the preloaded topo map in the ST, unless I am missing something.

I can buy the 64s for $230 and each state X-map chip for $99 is there a better option for the money?
Thanks

Hope you get some responses. I'm in the market myself and was wondering the same thing. I'm also considering the 650 Montana.

I have the Montana. Larger screen but also has the street maps for most of North America (others available). Once you lose cell phone coverage your phone is worthless and kills your cell battery searching for towers.

The batteries in the Garmin are awesome. The customer service for Garmin speaks English based in Kansas, very knowledgeable and helpful if you have any technical questions.

Your phone call GPS stamp the location of photos, it is nice to shoot trails or points on your Garmin and have the photos mark that spot to reference later.

I just got one of eBay for 200 listed as "new". Gaps nation has refurbished for 209. Hopefully I'm not getting ripped off..... After searching for about a month I decided this would be the best for my hunting needs.

Make sure it is a 64S not just a 64. I just bought a 64S for $213. Now I will learn to use it and see it it's what I think it is. Also bought a hunt X chip.

I have been using the older 60s for a number of years, including with one of the HuntMap chips. It is a great unit, and is still going strong after 9 years. If it finally dies, I will be getting the 64s as a replacement (assuming they haven't come out with a 66s yet); in the mean time, I have better things to spend my money on...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.