Full length bed update

Milo-2 , question for you.

Since your 22/250 sounds like dedicated varmint rifle and you may have shot to really warm up barrel, did it maintain accuracy and not change zero?

One thing I discover this weekend when tweaking my 223 load was that I ran some left over Green Dot rounds(22 mag level) and they used to be 1 1/2" low when using in my other 223 rifle . They were the same zero as regular load.

I wonder if the heavy varmint contour is what makes the difference with this full length bed.

Since your 22/250 sounds like dedicated varmint rifle and you may have shot to really warm up barrel, did it maintain accuracy and not change zero?

One thing I discover this weekend when tweaking my 223 load was that I ran some left over Green Dot rounds(22 mag level) and they used to be 1 1/2" low when using in my other 223 rifle . They were the same zero as regular load.

I wonder if the heavy varmint contour is what makes the difference with this full length bed.
Can't imagine a heavy barreled, small cartridge would be a good test bed for bedding. Sure seems like a heavy kicker with sporter style would be best. Not saying it won't help, just nice to see large changes while testing. Not taking away from your experiment though

Last edited:

I really cannot answer the question, it may or may not be because I am that dumb, lol
I used the rifle only in prairie dog towns, never target shooting, and the bulk of the shooting was under 200 yards. I warmed it up, but was also a young undisciplined shooter, so by logic, even if I had a 3/4moa shift, so if I broke a decent shot, chances of hitting a pdog at 200 and in were still good. I claim a lack of sufficient knowledge at that time and period of my shooting days, sorry.
Every spring when it went to the range for yearly sightin, it shot cloverleaf groups with Federal 55gr soft points.

Milo-2 , so it was at least was prairie dog accurate at 200 when warmed up good and maintained it's accuracy over long time.

Mram10us, just got to work in the 300WBY with other projects and everyday chores :).

Today, went out to confirm this rifle's 275 yd zero using the 6x Leupold bottom post of Dulpex. Was right on and this time fired 6 rounds and only about 2-3 minutes apart. Barrel got warm but not hot.

So far full length barrel bed working good for this rifle.

I posted this on another bedding thread. Thought it might be useful here. Glad your test is going so well. Not the least suprised but many others will be.

I do not post this very often because it is generally VERY unpopular and often ridiculed. On many hunting weight rifles, full length barrel bedding works just great. All of my Mannlicher full stocks are bedded all the way and they shoot significantly better after bedding than before, I have also had very good results bedding light weight and sporter contour barrels on my hunting rifles. I also own NULAs and can attest to the fact their full length bedded rifles shoot lights out. The single biggest improvement I have noticed is that the cold bore first shot, previously slightly fouled barrel, goes the same place as the next two. I also find they shoot different bullet weights far closer to the same POI and are not near as picky on bullet and velocity, in other words shoot a much wider variety of loads really well. I don't care if a hunting rifle starts to wander after 5 or ten shots, in my whole life I have never used more than two at distance on any game animals.

Try some three shoot groups with two or three different weights of bullets and pay attention to your cold bore first shots. Bed the barrel then shoot it again. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Look forward to hearing your results.

Here is a 308 NULA, thin 21" Douglas fully bedded barrel, gun weighs 6 lbs 3 ounces including 3,5x18x44 scope, sling and 4 rounds in mag. This target was shot with 4 different loads, 2 different powders Varget and 4895 and two different bullets, 130 TSX and 150 Hornady. All shots fired fairly close together. all were shot as three shot groups. The last 3 furthest left and higher were shoot as the 10-12 rounds of pretty much continuous fire and you can start to see the group open up due to heat. Once the barrel cooled that load dropped down to 1/2" as well. Target squares are 1/2" per side, not the standard 1".

tiMpxt1l.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, your results are showing me the same thing. Even the different bullet weights hitting same spot. We as you only shoot 1-2 times for our hunting rifles.

One other note , I think if a rifle is not built correctly, then you will start to see misalignment stresses having an negative influence.

Very interesting topic.
On my 300 win mag I put bedding on 4-5" off the barrel.
But most beding jobs put bedding just under the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.