Fox stalking grey kangaroo - intense

peterb

Hi from the South West of Oz.

In the 52 years I have been living on our farm, I have been priviledged to see mother nature's animals at their very best on four occasions.

Over the years, I have observed kangaroos boxing on three occasions - all from a very close range (under 150 yards) and without them knowing I was there. To the uninitiated, it is a breathtaking spectacle, and when there are a few roos, the others form a loose circle with guards posted outside that.

This morning though, I watched a vixin (female english fox) stalk and carry out a series of intricate tactical manouvres trying to infiltrate the cordon thrown up by four adult kangaroos protecting a young joey.
From my vantage point about 100yds away and about 200 feet above - on the edge of some breakaway country, I watched this battle for about 3 or 4 minutes.
This is the fox we have been trying to shoot for the last two or three years, but never seem to have a rifle at the right time. This time was a bit different though. As the fox started to really narrow the gap using some incredible moves around trees and rocks, it looked as though it may succeed in roo stew for breakfast.
That's the sad part about shooting the thing. A wonderful spectacle of animals in conflict in the wild comes to an end.
Not quite your usual hunting story, but this was so intense and rare, I had to pass it on.
David Attenborough would have been proud (of the first bit !!)

Cheers,

Pete

Yep, it was one of those things that sticks in your mind for years. The shame of it was that I really wanted to see the outcome - without my influence. But.......... That fox just had to go as it has been responsible for quite a lot of problems over the last few years. Vixins always seem to be the worst, and the hardest to shoot.
By the way, a 308 165 grain accutip did a grand job. Funny thing though, instead of hitting high shoulder / heart area, I hit low ribs area. Further investigation revealed that with the rifle resting on the seat - barrel to the floor - the windage turret had done quite a spin caused by it rubbing on the seat ! Never been caught like that before, so maybe next timeI will turn the rifle over so the windage turret is up.

Cheers,

Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.