Formula for determining size of target?

Epee

So if you know the range and you want to determine the size of the target you are shooting, how do you do that using MOA?

Thanks for the help.

So if you know the range and you want to determine the size of the target you are shooting, how do you do that using MOA?

Thanks for the help.

With your scope at full power (if 2nd focal plane scope) compare the size of the target to the moa hash marks in the reticle. So if the target fits inside the 1 moa hash it is a sub moa target.

Hope this helps.

Steve

So if the target measures 6 MOA at 700 yards, do you mulitply 1.047 X 6?

Math is not my expertise obviously. Thanks for the help and patience.

I do this by just rounding 1.047" to 1". So... 1 Minute Of Angle (MOA) is about 1" at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards, 3" at 300 Yards, etc. I can do the math in my head this way.

Then at 100 yards a target measuring 1 MOA in the scope is a 1" target. ( 1 X 1 = 1)
At 200 yards a 1 MOA target is 2" (2 X 1 = 2")
At 300 yards a 1 MOA target is 3" (3 X 1 = 3")
At 600 yards a 2 MOA target is 12" (6 X 2 = 12")
At 650 yards a 2 MOA target would be 13" (6.5 X 2 = 13")

I do a lot of long range practice by shooting at rock faces and measure my group sizes with this method.

Last edited:
So if i understand correctly your target is 6 moa in size in the scope. 1 moa at 700 yards would be roughly 7" so your target is roughly 42".

Steve

Yes, thanks guys for the help. I was trying to determine size of object observed at a known distance.

It's an easy calculation if you already have an idea of your target dimensions. ie: back to brisket measurement of the animal you're trying to hit. You can have most of the calculation done before you step foot into the field.

Height of Target (inches) * 95.5 = Distance to Target(Yards)
Image Size(MOA)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.