Stadia-relation formula

sscoyote

For the past yr. or so now i've been checking out something that's been working pretty good so far. While i was looking into the mil-relation formula, i started wondering if the system could be used with any reticle with a stadia out of the optical center of the scope once it's subtension was known. Turns out it works just fine, especially when all a shooter has is just a plex reticle. Here's how it works-- just substitute the stadia subtension measurement for the mil reading, i.e. target size x 100/stadia/# stadia units. For example i was using a 4-12X Burris Mini on a 17 Mach IV XP for coyotes. The plex gap measures 5.7" @ 12X, so plugging the #'s in figuring a 10" back-brisket coyote gives,

10 x 100/5.7/# stadia units (SU), or

1 SU= 175 yds.
.9= 200
.8= 220
.7= 250
.6= 290
.5 (x-hair)= 350
etc.

Seems to be working pretty good for me so far. Anybody ever use anything similar.

SSCoyote ,
Leupold used a similar principle on some of the Vari X 111 scopes for range estimation and does on their current Boone and Crocket and Varmint Hunter's reticles .So have other manufacturers .
Can be done with any duplex reticle and some others .

Yeah-- i've seen their systems. I think the advantage of the "modified mil-ranging" system here is that it can be used for any size target (Leupold's is calculated for a deer size target only), it can be used with fixed power or variable, is quick to apply in the field, can be used with any stadia subtension, and doesn't require any fiddling with the power ring.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.