Am I correct on how to determine your reticle size at any given range

DartonJager

Just want to be 100% certain that I my math and thought process of based on my reticles size in MOA in determining how much area of a target or object the reticle will cover AND that the amount of the area it will cover is DIRECTLY proportional to the range and size of your reticle in MOA (and MILs)

For example one reticle in a scope I am considering buying is vertical cross hair measures 0.26 MOA or slightly larger then 1/4 MOA while it's horizontal cross hair measures 0.125 MOA or 1/8 MOA.

I'm guessing but if my math is correct and 1.0 MOA equals roughly 10" at 1000 yards then 0.26 MOA at 1000 yards should again approximately equal 2.6" and there fore a reticle that measures 0.26 MOA would cover approximately 2.6" of area on any given target or object at 1000 yards and should be small enough to allow more than accurate and precise shot placement on any big game animal or targets like steel plates at least 10" square inches in area.

I realize this is pretty dirt simple math but just want to be absolutely certain before I commit my thoughts to memory.

Your close enough. By my math (not always correct lol) it's 2.72" of reticle coverage. Keep in mind if it's a SFP scope then it will cover more as you reduce power. If it's a 20x max power scope then at 10x your coverage will be 5.44". Ffp coverage would remain the same at any power.

Your close enough. By my math (not always correct lol) it's 2.72" of reticle coverage. Keep in mind if it's a SFP scope then it will cover more as you reduce power. If it's a 20x max power scope then at 10x your coverage will be 5.44". Ffp coverage would remain the same at any power.
Thank you for the reply and correct you are about the fact most SFP reticles are calibrated at it's max power setting and if used at a lessor power are to be sorry meant increased accordingly: 3-15x 1@15x 1.5@10x etc.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.