For those of you who hunt suppressed, do you Leave the suppressor on while packing in to your hunting area?

Take it off for storage, I have seen the damages caused by suppressors left on stainless barrels more than once.

Corrosion had started to chew through the thread and the last inch of the barrel. We are talking very deep pitting here. Corrosion happens inside of the walls of the suppressor as well.More into aluminium and steel suppressors than stainless or titanium .
Sometime the suppressor will be stuck so hard on the tread, it is like welded by corrosion. I have more than ounce had to sacrifice the suppressor and chop through it with a band saw . Cutting behind the corroded portion of the barrel and retread and recrown over fresh rifling area.

Basic rules of maintenance of a suppressor is to try to keep it off the rifle as soon as you are done with your shooting for the day. If you have shot through it on that day , take it appart and clean it , or for the models that are sealed , spray a bit of wd40 or similar neutral gun oil inside so it neutralises the burnt powder residue. You can blast some compressed air through to vaporise the excess of wd40.( you don't want any to drain back down your barrel at a later stage). Store your suppressor in a dry warm place if possible . The worst thing you can do to a suppressor is shooting outside on a rainy day and putting it back into your soft case , damp, and leaving it like that with out maintenance for several days. Sounds crazy but I have seen it done more than once .

Of course there is nothing wrong to leave your suppressor on your rifle during your hunting time , if you have not shot any rounds through it. As well as it might not be convenient to take appart your suppressor if you are on a 10 days camp far from any civilisation , try to do so as soon as you are back home.

problem with leaving it on and packing muzzle up... carbon build up!!!
i take mine off until i get to where im gonna start hunting and then it never leaves my hands and is muzzle down for the most part.. then when days over take er off throw it on my pack and start truckin
I hadn't even thought of that....thanks for that tid bit of info!

Corrosion had started to chew through the thread and the last inch of the barrel. We are talking very deep pitting here. Corrosion happens inside of the walls of the suppressor as well.More into aluminium and steel suppressors than stainless or titanium .
Sometime the suppressor will be stuck so hard on the tread, it is like welded by corrosion. I have more than ounce had to sacrifice the suppressor and chop through it with a band saw . Cutting behind the corroded portion of the barrel and retread and recrown over fresh rifling area.

Basic rules of maintenance of a suppressor is to try to keep it off the rifle as soon as you are done with your shooting for the day. If you have shot through it on that day , take it appart and clean it , or for the models that are sealed , spray a bit of wd40 or similar neutral gun oil inside so it neutralises the burnt powder residue. You can blast some compressed air through to vaporise the excess of wd40.( you don't want any to drain back down your barrel at a later stage). Store your suppressor in a dry warm place if possible . The worst thing you can do to a suppressor is shooting outside on a rainy day and putting it back into your soft case , damp, and leaving it like that with out maintenance for several days. Sounds crazy but I have seen it done more than once .

Of course there is nothing wrong to leave your suppressor on your rifle during your hunting time , if you have not shot any rounds through it. As well as it might not be convenient to take appart your suppressor if you are on a 10 days camp far from any civilisation , try to do so as soon as you are back home.
Great advise! I didn't even think of corrosion being a problem. Makes total sense though; the crown on my rifle is so dirty after just a few shots through the Supprssor.

I've hunted quite a bit with a supressor. I carry mine muzzle up in a vorn pack with the supressor attached. It's a 26" long barrel and 9" can. Hunting elk, I do have to watch out from time to time depending on the trees, but overall out hasn't been much of a bother. I shoot quite a few rifle comps with a supressor and carry it muzzle up with a sling. Carbon flaking off into the bore has never been an issue for me. Yes carbon builds up, but I generally don't see it flaking until I take thre can off.
If carrying it muzzle up in rain/snow, you may want to figure out how to keep rain/ snow out of the supressor and bore. I use a ziploc bag and just let my supressor cover hold it in place. Shooting through it has had no seen negative side effects on accuracy.
Hunting suppressed is absolutely awesome, I'll never go back to a brake.
Crazy that the plastic sack has had no effects on accuracy. That is awesome advice, thanks.

I was torn on whether to pack it with the suppressor on or off as most of my barrels were longer and I honestly left it home a lot to avoid the controversy. Finally I cut my 6.5 PRC barrel down to 19" and problem solved. Slowed it down a bit but still has the 156 EOL moving at 2880; plenty fast. Cut back on weight and the accuracy was impressive with the shorter barrel. My pack rifle is a 25 CM that already has a 20" barrel so no problem there. Bottom line is I can't stand packing a long rifle and I did not want to worry about trying to screw it on when it was time to shoot so something had to give. Really happy with the shorter barrel
I need to look into the shorter barrel on my next build. It would be fun to try. And great to know it doesn't slow it doe too much.

Thanks for the cleaning tips. I need to be mindful of that. I like to shoot quite a bit and have a tall enough safe that it sounds the suppressor has stayed on for more rounds than it probably should.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.