For all you 30-06 owners, what bullet are you using?

But will 3.350" COAL fit in a Rem 700 mag well?
Well I think so lol. I haven't tried to mag feed them yet. I wouldn't see why they wouldn't. My 300 win mag action feeds a round that is 3.650 and I think they are the same action besides bolt face diameter.
Just checked my bdl mag well. I'm good to 3.665 on it.

Last edited:
I use the 150 grain Hornady SST out of my 7600 pump with 47 of Varget and Federal primers. It shoots 5 shots in an inch group at 100 yards which is phenomenal from a pump gun with a shotgun-like trigger.

Took my first pronghorn with it in Wyoming at about 150 yards and it literally pink misted him; we all saw it and were like WOW! It blew him right over and he didn't move a muscle. Blown over like he got leveled by a lineman. I'd never seen such force before. Impressive actually.
I have only tried one combo in this 06' (Rem 7600) but during load work up I shot a 3 shot group that was 0.572" and one that was 0.627" at 100 yards from the bench. I installed the Timney trigger fix. Big improvement!
150 Gr Sierra pro hunter
IMR 4064
R-P brass
WLR

Mine gets 152 Hammer Hunters in California and 180 Ballistic Tips out of state. My nephew has killed 3 elk with my 180 Ballistic Tip handloads and they have worked excellent. I was shooting my 300 wm, so he borrowed my 06.

Curious as to what folks are using. So many rifles seem to have a few bullets that are really popular - 300wm and the Berger 215, 6.5 PRC and the 156, etc. But the 30-06 doesn't seem to have that hugely popular favorite bullet. Since there is such a huge selection of bullets, I would expect to see answers all over the map.

I wanted to shoot the Nosler 180 BT but I would get a flier a third of the time, Switched to Berger 185 VLD and it went away. With N560 I'm getting 2877 with this bullet and it should easily dispatch anything smaller than an elk, and could work for elk as well although it won't be my primary elk gun.

What are other people shooting?
In my 30-06 I shoot 165gr Nosler Partitions or Accubonds (not the Accubond Long Range version) Or Swift A-frame or Swift Scirocco in 165gr. both the Noslers and Swifts are accurate for me and perform flawlessly on whitetails and mule deer 50yds to 450yds so far

Curious as to what folks are using. So many rifles seem to have a few bullets that are really popular - 300wm and the Berger 215, 6.5 PRC and the 156, etc. But the 30-06 doesn't seem to have that hugely popular favorite bullet. Since there is such a huge selection of bullets, I would expect to see answers all over the map.

I wanted to shoot the Nosler 180 BT but I would get a flier a third of the time, Switched to Berger 185 VLD and it went away. With N560 I'm getting 2877 with this bullet and it should easily dispatch anything smaller than an elk, and could work for elk as well although it won't be my primary elk gun.

I use 180gr Nosler Partitions on most of North American large game and African game for animals under a 1000lbs

Hy
I use a 150 gr tsx Barnes on top of 59.5 gr Cfe 223 . It was tested at 4300 bar and give me 990 m/sek out of my mauser 66 with an 65 cm barrel . Good accuracy

I use 180gr Nosler Partitions on most of North American large game and African game for animals under a 1000lb. Rifle is .30-06 Weatherby Vanguard, never had fliers or failures.