folding stock for back country hunters?

wyhuntin12

Its kinda a crazy thought but has anyone used a folding stock or swing stock on their LR rifle? I figured why not if it keeps the barrel from sticking a foot above my head while in my pack and snagging everything i walk in or under. i just dont kno if it would be sturdy enough.. also they usually have adjustable cheeck peice and but length and that would be nice since my wife will be shooting as much as i and she just little. Any thoughts or comments would be very helpfull. thank you.

Most of the chassis systems have folding options. (XLR, AICS, McRee, Whiskey 3, Eberlestock). Manners and McMillan both have folding options on some of their stocks, but none of the above will be lightweight. Eberlestock LOOKS the lightest (haven't compared all the weights), but it's crazy expen$$ive.

They have a double sling carry system on this site. You could run a bull pup design and shorten weapon considerable. I spend a lot of time in grizz country and have had close encounters, my rifle is a packer and at the ready, hanging to my front on a safari sling, hand at butt angles it threw the thick stuff, hands free climbing and glassing

well i def dont want to make the gun much heavier... I to hunt thick grizz country. We bait blacks and have many pics of grizz But every time they come in its about 2 r 3 am.. iv always got my pistol at the ready. And thank u for nameing some products ill check them out nomad.

I experimented with a folding stock (Choate Encore Folding Butt Stock - Stainless or Blue) on my TC Encore 6.5x55 20" MGM barrel. It makes for a very compact package, although I had challenges fitting it nicely in my Eberlestock pack. With a 50mm scope set on med rings, the folded butt end makes the gun a bit too tall (or wide if you think about it that way) to fits nicely in the pack scabbard.

The Encore is so short normally, I end up using the fixed stock because it fits so nicely in the pack. I still like the idea of nothing sticking up out of the top of the pack, so I have ideas of a quick detach stock. One bolt mounts the stock to the frame. I just have not come up with a QD solution yet.

well that is very helpull thank u.. there are a few ideas i had too.. but unless u got lots of money to build it or friends with the equipment needed lol..do u like that pack?? iv been looking at the "just one" for a few day now..

..do u like that pack?? iv been looking at the "just one" for a few day now..

I have the Eberlestock X1E and the Just One with Zip-in front panel, and rain covers for both. They have served me well. I generally bowhunt and warm gun hunt with the X1E, and cold weather hunt with the Just One. I find that I carry more gear out there when its cold or carry a gun, and with the Just One I can fit all that I need. Quality is good. I recommend Eberlestock.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.