FN PBR Receiver/Bottom metal

Quinncannon

If anyone here can share some information about this rifle, I would be very appreciative. I have an FN PBR .308 rifle, I want to use the receiver as a donor for a custom build. I am finding it difficult to find information to confirm in my mind that this receiver is actually a Winchester short action Model 70 with the hybrid control/push feed action. The receiver bolts are 7 1/16th from center to center. I think I just need some new bottom metal and I am likely going with an H-S Precision stock. Barrel will likely be a Kreiger. Will be assembled by the 'smiths at the Vets Shooting Center in Russel, Arkansas. Haven't settled on caliber yet. Thanks.

I have an SPR in .308, which is the heavy barreled version in a McMillan stock.

My brother-in-law had a PBR in .300 WSM with the fluted barrel and the Choate rubberized stock.

Both shoot well. They are for all intents and purposes Model 70s.

They were only ever built in .308 and .300WSM but they are all built on the WSM action, they just used small face bolts in the .308s.

Short action bottom metal *should be the same but if you install a picatinny rail I know for sure that you'll need a WSM pic rail, a regular Short Action rail won't fit.

Thanks for the information, I think I'll continue on with this project, fortunately I have a picatinny rail on it already! Probably going with a 6.5 Creedmoor. The 'smiths I buy from, already have barrels in stock. Heavies and even Palma profle barrels.

If anyone here can share some information about this rifle, I would be very appreciative. I have an FN PBR .308 rifle, I want to use the receiver as a donor for a custom build. I am finding it difficult to find information to confirm in my mind that this receiver is actually a Winchester short action Model 70 with the hybrid control/push feed action. The receiver bolts are 7 1/16th from center to center. I think I just need some new bottom metal and I am likely going with an H-S Precision stock. Barrel will likely be a Kreiger. Will be assembled by the 'smiths at the Vets Shooting Center in Russel, Arkansas. Haven't settled on caliber yet. Thanks.
oo-oo, good find! It's definitely a Winnie short action. I had one I made into 6.5 Creedmoor and currently have one I purchased in 6 Creedmoor. I was lucky enough to find 2 different types of Win factory dbm and magazines. I have a spare Hogue stock with SPR/PBR dbm and mag. I think H-S makes drop box bottom metal to go with their stocks.

Recent Posts