Flying with Guns & Ammo ?

Varmint Hunter

I will be flying from JFK to SLC on Delta Airlines soon. My rifle is packed in an airline approved hardcase. I am taking a single box of ammo. It is unclear as to where the ammo should, or should not, be packed. Calling Delta was a waste of time as there customer service professional was trying to read off his computer screen and couldn't answer any specific firearm related questions.

Obviously ammo does not go in your "carry on" case. My gun case is lockable, my main luggage is not.

Where is the ammo supposed to go?

before I moved to Colorado I used to fly out here every year to go hunting. Every airline I have ever flown while traveling with guns/ammo requires the ammo to be in a separate checked bag.

All airlines have slight differences with lock requirements and stuff like that, but I cannot imagine the ammo requirements are any different. Just make sure it's in a factory box, even if you Reload, don't take it in a reloading ammo box. Just buy a box of cheap factory ammo and put your reloads in the factory box.

Last time I flew I remember the hard rifle case had to be locked but the key had to be located somewhere easy to find near the lock or they would cut it off. Or write the combo on the lock. That was about 10 years ago, but I still remember how silly it all was.

TSA says thaty ammunition may be included in the same case as the firearm but that the firearm must remain unloaded.

Ammunition is also ok in a separate checked bag.

Also, do not use TSA locks on your firearm case. When you go to check your bags a TSA agen will have to inspect the contents and place an inspection declaration in the case. At that time you will lock the case with your locks, they are not allowed to open the case after that point unless there is an unresolved alarm. Should there be an unresolved alarm they can cut the locks without you being there. I understand that this is pretty rare. In this case I put two unlocked padlocks and a note instructing them to replace the locks if they had to cut the originals.

The rifle case is an SKB double rifle hard case. It has 4 locking latches. There is no provision for separate pad locks. If they break the locks/latches open, the case will be ruined.

The newer SKB cases have "TSA" locking latches. My case has earlier designed locking latches.

Thanks for the info guys.

Ammo with the rifle must be a new regulation. When I flew to Argentina 2007 and 2008 the ammo had to be in your checked bag and was not allowed with the rifle.

Like geargrinder said they will inspect it before you lock it up and send it away (basically ensuring its unloaded). Depending on your destination, you can mail your rifle to yourself at the final destination, I have found this to be easier/cheaper than screwing around with TSA at the airports

I flew from Fairbanks AK to Salt Lake City UT about
9 months ago with 3 long guns and 2 hand guns
with about 140 rounds of various ammo.
While it did raise a few questions (why so many) I had little issue
with TSA. But the only place I was checking firearms was Fairbanks AK
and it is not uncommon for Alaskans to travel this way
Not sure how well that would be received going the other direction.
Although I have flew the reverse with hand gun and long gun
in the same case but no ammo.

Well it sure does sound like ammo regulations have changed since the last time I flew with guns back in 2006. I'm still surprised they let ammo go in the same case as the rifle considering that was always the biggest sticking point I had to deal with.

I flew to and from SLC about a year ago and had 2 rifles, 2 rangefinders and 2 sets of binos in a double sided aluminum gun case with locking latches and had 60 round of handloaded ammo in factory boxes all taped together in one big bundle with the ends trapped shut and some spare tape in my bag for the return trip. If ammo falls out and is loose in your bag they say can cause unwanted problems. The ammo was in my duffle bag with my clothes and gear and had no problems at all. They checked to make sure that the rifles were unloaded at the baggage check in and then I locked it up and we were good to go.

I wouldn't buy or use a case that only had TSA locks. I don't want just anyone with one of those generic keys to have access to my guns.

As far as ammo with the gun or in separate checked bag could simply be a specific airline regulation not a TSA reg.

Airlines can make their own rules that are more strict than TSA.

Delta allows you to put your ammo in your locked gun case. Just make sure you have it in a approved ammo container. Most agents don't even look inside them. You will have to sign and date a orange piece of paper to stick inside your gun case. Next you will have to let TSA do there thing with it. Some airports they will unlock and go thru it, some will ex-ray your case or they will check for gunpowder residue by running a cloth around the outside openings of the case. I have never had a problem with ammo in my rifle case with Delta. Last time I flew with a rifle was September that was on Delta.
Thanks
Rusty

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.