Urgent question about flying w/ firearms/ammo

D.S.

Are there any new regulations regarding flying with firearms and ammo? The last time I flew to a hunt was a few years ago and it was required that your rifle was flown separately from your ammo and that it was in a locked case(are there any specifics on how the ammo needs to be stored?). Please inform me of any new regs since Im leaving this Friday the 10th to hunt speedgoats w/ some friends in E. MT (a little late to be asking this question, eh!-- I should have asked sooner but ive been very busy at work and time has slipped by fast).
THanks for any quick responses!
Drew

3 yrs ago i flew to canada to hunt rifle moose and then we had to have our guns in a locked case and the ammo in a seperate container. i dont know if anything has changed, we called before we while before we left and the airline told us the ammo was supposed to be IN THE CONTAINER WITH THE RIFLE, well that changed real quick when we got to the airport. i was honestly scared they were gonna arrest my dad. they allowed us to put the ammo in our checked suitcases and everything was fine after that. if you call ask to speek to a manager or someone high up on the food chain.

also what ever case you put your guns in, make sure it is a strong sucker!!!! they dont call them "baggage throwers" for nothing. something like a aluminum case or a strong plastic like Storm or Pelican cases would be great. those little plano thin plastic cases will make the trip hard on your guns

good luck hunting
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.