Flying With Rifles ???

MagMan

Well I've not thought about what happens when the airlines misplace your rifle until recently. My uncle lost his rifle/case on a return trip this past year and it was gone for a month. They were getting ready to consider it a lost cause and cut him a check for $3,000 which is a third of replacement value of what was in the case. They finally found it and he was forced to drive 300 miles to pick it up.

What is the easies way to insure (replacement value) your expensive shooting systems while flying on a commercial flight.

At some point in time you used to be able to take out insurance directly from the airline. Apparently that is not the case now.

Is it easier to get a policy through my homeowners insurance or is there an easier and less costly way?

I mail all my guns to my outfitter a week ahead of time that way I know that they are their before I leave. I think that the only thing worse than loosing a $5000 hunting rig would be loosing it and missing days out of an expensive hunt!!
I have all my guns insured now through L of L now after loosing over $25,000 worth in hurricane Katrina and only having the "contense" coverage available to cover them.

Well un-fortunatly I have never been faced with that problem , you might want to ask one of the moderators here I believe its Ian thats lives in Canada , I'me sure that at some point he travels with his guns , he can't possibley count of makers to have one for him every time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Very simply you can only bring rifles into Canada for a hunt with you. You cannot send them ahead of time since you must get a permit, that you must sign in front of the customs officer, when you enter the country. Costs 25 bucks, very simple process, you can put more than one firearm on it.

Wish your U.S. Customs folks would handle us the same, we have to have a FORM 6 for guns and ammo. No Form 6, no bringing a firearm into the U.S. for a hunt. Form 6's are reasonably easy to obtain, you do it through the mail or by FAX. Need a valid hunting license with the Form 6 application.

I have traveled from Africa to Mexico. I have lost my guns Twice but they were brought to me a day or two Later. I have over $10,000 worth of coverage for guns cases Binos Scopes extra Barrels ect. All are replacement cost. I pay a little over $100 a year.In canada I can buy Ammo and A gun if I have to, I took a corse that gave me a Possession -
Acqusition License , I don't pay the $25 or $50 to have a permit.

I just talked with my homeowners insurance company and they told me it would cost $1.5 for $100 of coverage. That would double my homeowners insurance and that doesn't include LRF, binos or any of the other stuff. That is ridiculous there has to be a better more cost effective way.

Anyone know if the NRA offers any insurance?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.