floating and non floating neck turning tool/lathe

milboltnut

Hey guys

what's your experience with, I guess the only floating neck turning lathe by 21st century. I'd rather have a neck turner on a lathe set up or what ever you want to call it, Hornady, Forster, for the affordable ones to start. Is the 21st that much better than say the Hornady ?

I'm intrigued by the 21st's with the neck turner floating and the case holder too. Will any of the fixed ones work just as well as the floating ones? I use a Forster hand held in my vice with their black plastic handle and one I made with a Lee case holder. The best I can get is .0005 to .001. I see 21st cutter graduations are .0005. I was thinking just getting the neck turning tool by itself and pilots. 21st wants 140 bucks for the cutter tool/cutter and two pilots. Hornady wants $150 with 4 pilots. 21st has the cutter that takes a bit of the shoulder off unlike others.... Hornady doesn't. Hornadys adjustment is .0005 like the 21st's.

Hey guys

what's your experience with, I guess the only floating neck turning lathe by 21st century. I'd rather have a neck turner on a lathe set up or what ever you want to call it, Hornady, Forster, for the affordable ones to start. Is the 21st that much better than say the Hornady ?

I'm intrigued by the 21st's with the neck turner floating and the case holder too. Will any of the fixed ones work just as well as the floating ones? I use a Forster hand held in my vice with their black plastic handle and one I made with a Lee case holder. The best I can get is .0005 to .001. I see 21st cutter graduations are .0005. I was thinking just getting the neck turning tool by itself and pilots. 21st wants 140 bucks for the cutter tool/cutter and two pilots. Hornady wants $150 with 4 pilots. 21st has the cutter that takes a bit of the shoulder off unlike others.... Hornady doesn't. Hornadys adjustment is .0005 like the 21st's.
Hornady Like you said think of a lathe

Yeah when you think of it, a lathes axial is pretty much almost perfect. And I would think Hornadys set up is just that ! They give you 4 pilots too ! Only thing is the cutter doesn't ride the shoulder for donuts.

Yeah when you think of it, a lathes axial is pretty much almost perfect. And I would think Hornadys set up is just that ! They give you 4 pilots too ! Only thing is the cutter doesn't ride the shoulder for donuts.
I turned the neck down just to the neck shoulder junction where it barely cuts into the shoulder I've had no problems for many years

the main thing is a finer adjustment on the dial. My Forster is .001 and has a lot of back lash, the others are .0005. I know that if you seat bullets at the junction, donuts are not a problem. I remember a guy telling me he seats the base at the junction and he shot 1K yard competitions. Any load I load I seat longer and don't go below that.

the main thing is a finer adjustment on the dial. My Forster is .001 and has a lot of back lash, the others are .0005. I know that if you seat bullets at the junction, donuts are not a problem. I remember a guy telling me he seats the base at the junction and he shot 1K yard competitions. Any load I load I seat longer and don't go below that.
I use an expanding mandrel which supposedly pushes most of the imperfections to the outside where they can be cut off

I use an expanding mandrel which supposedly pushes most of the imperfections to the outside where they can be cut off
cut off at the junction. I use a expander mandrel too. I can't see any thing visible on the out side donut wise but you can see them inside even after the expander mandrel is used. A standard cutter doesn't cut down far enough from my understanding. But K&M has that pilot/reamer, that addresses it.

cut off at the junction. I use a expander mandrel too. I can't see any thing visible on the out side donut wise but you can see them inside even after the expander mandrel is used. A standard cutter doesn't cut down far enough from my understanding. But K&M has that pilot/reamer, that addresses it.
I trim with a Wilson trimmer and I do have inside neck reamers although I have yet to use them

ok so when you said you barely cut into the shoulder mean you use a cutter with an angle on it than say the hornady station with a straight cutter.

ok so when you said you barely cut into the shoulder mean you use a cutter with an angle on it than say the hornady station with a straight cutter.
I have a standard Hornady cutter and I barely touch the shoulder I've never had a neck separate or any problems yet

Cutter is not square but may or may not be the exact angle of my cartridge
image.jpg
image.jpg

the hornady cutter has a angle but what degree, who knows ! LOL They are all like that, so doesn't do anything.