FL Sizing the Eric C Way?

Cholla

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. I decided to set up my FL Sizing as shown in Eric's video. I stripped the bolt of the firing pin and the plunger. The extractor is riveted in.
When I do the test as shown in the video, the bolt still has pressure as it cams over with fired brass in it. Once it is cammed over, it falls freely as shown in the video. I assume the pressure is because the case is being forced over the extractor. I hate to remove the extractor if I don't need to.

To be clear, if no brass is present, the bolt goes in and falls freely with no resistance. If I put fired unsized brass in, there is some pressure to cam over. Once that's done I can work the bolt freely with no resistance. Once I remove the brass and put it back in, the resistance is back until I cam over again. I assume that's the pressure of being captured by the extractor. Yes? No?

I also have a huge variation in the shoulder-to-case head length on my fired brass. They can vary .004" so I am guessing they are not yet fully fire-formed. I am using ADG cases.

I'm interested in where you get with this. I have an M70 that creates a similar issue. Basically, I really focus on that cramming feel vs the friction feel of the extractor. I think I get close, but have struggled in the past.

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. I decided to set up my FL Sizing as shown in Eric's video. I stripped the bolt of the firing pin and the plunger. The extractor is riveted in.
When I do the test as shown in the video, the bolt still has pressure as it cams over with fired brass in it. Once it is cammed over, it falls freely as shown in the video. I assume the pressure is because the case is being forced over the extractor. I hate to remove the extractor if I don't need to.

To be clear, if no brass is present, the bolt goes in and falls freely with no resistance. If I put fired unsized brass in, there is some pressure to cam over. Once that's done I can work the bolt freely with no resistance. Once I remove the brass and put it back in, the resistance is back until I cam over again. I assume that's the pressure of being captured by the extractor. Yes? No?

I also have a huge variation in the shoulder-to-case head length on my fired brass. They can vary .004" so I am guessing they are not yet fully fire-formed. I am using ADG cases.
I take all that stuff out of the face. you only want resistance from the brass brass so you can feel what is happening and get it snug as you want it. 7mag shouldnt take many firings. Ive only done this in $1k actions or blueprinted 700's so not sure if its worth doing in a factory one or not...

He's talking about pulling the bolt out putting the rim behind the extractor then inserting the case in bolt face and bolt back into the rifle to feel it. You would likely still get some feel/resistance from the extractor claw on a factory 700 i think...

He's talking about pulling the bolt out putting the rim behind the extractor then inserting the case in bolt face and bolt back into the rifle to feel it. You would likely still get some feel/resistance from the extractor claw on a factory 700 i think...
Yes, my actions are clones but once the case rim is behind ejector there is no resistance. I run stubby cases so most time I won't even pull bolt I can finagle through the ejection port but I have done both ways.

How many firings? If this is just the first firing, you probably are not fully formed. Once you have a another firing, you should be able to bump the shoulder. I have resistance with a Rem 700 with ADG brass just like this. I think it is neck thickness.

Do you have other brass? I do not get this same "feel" with Rem cases in same rifle.

I should think your not going to set the shoulder back with your action, so if it closes freely once closed once and under the extractor, you haven't fully formed the case. Depending on your load this could take 2- 5 firings.

if your not full length resizing....Once an unsized fired piece of brass gives resistance, you can set the shoulder back.