FL Sizing - Necessary??

Tires are consumable, but spinning on start and slamming on the brakes raises the cost. Find good accuracy a ways below absolute max and cost can go way down with little change in trajectory.

Tires are consumable, but spinning on start and slamming on the brakes raises the cost. Find good accuracy a ways below absolute max and cost can go way down with little change in trajectory.

Good analogy.

The battle between FL, light FL, Shoulder bump and NS has been going on for a very long time. I had one reloader tell me that I was FOS because the "trend" is not to light FL size with custom dies made from fired cases.

A "truth" would be the "best" is the one that works for you.

I seem to have long brass life, regardless of which type of sizing I use. I load for a lot of chamberings.

One case that is almost always NS is 6BR. It is annealed every time. NS only to an internal dimention of .241. This is what works for me. For my fast twist long range and my slow twist short range.

A different case is my 338-378 which is FL sized to bump the "shoulder" .001. It is also annealed every time.

My 308 for my M1 Garand that was SAIC rebarrelled in 1957 is always hard FL resized. Same with my very few self loaders.

Every shooter is different, every rifle is different. I would even say that brands of brass can be different.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.