Fishing around Laramie Wyoming

birddog 68

Hello, we have a elk hunt planned for late September in Colorado and are thinking about leaving a day early and stopping in Laramie so we can get a day or so of fishing in. We were in Laramie a couple years ago and was planning on fishing a few rivers/creeks but the snowy range was on fire and we were stuck fishing a couple different reservoirs and had some success.
I am a spin fisherman and my buddy will spin or fly fish.
Not looking for someone's secret fishing spot but maybe point us in a general direction. I realize that water levels will be low at this time of the year and we're fine fishing a reservoir if we need to.
Thanks for any assistance, Birddog 68

Last edited:
Contact the Wyoming fishing game ask to speak to the fish bioliogist for that area they are very helpful they put us on some good fishing up around Buffalo Wyoming just a thought it's a free phone call good luck

Hey birddog, I put the word out down here in junction, so far most are still in Colorado but maybe this will help, the yampah river by Craig, stagecoach reservoir between Craig and steamboat springs on oak creek, if I hear of anymore, I'll let you know

Twin buttes is a pretty good lake. Has lots of 18-20" rainbows and browns. I've pulled a few out over the 24" mark. I wouldn't get to excited about the rivers or creeks unless you like catching 6" Brookies. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions. I grew up in the area

Twin buttes is a pretty good lake. Has lots of 18-20" rainbows and browns. I've pulled a few out over the 24" mark. I wouldn't get to excited about the rivers or creeks unless you like catching 6" Brookies. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions. I grew up in the area
I will look into the twin buttes lake.
I will send you a pm, thanks

Hello, we have a elk hunt planned for late September in Colorado and are thinking about leaving a day early and stopping in Laramie so we can get a day or so of fishing in. We were in Laramie a couple years ago and was planning on fishing a few rivers/creeks but the snowy range was on fire and we were stuck fishing a couple different reservoirs and had some success.
I am a spin fisherman and my buddy will spin or fly fish.
Not looking for someone's secret fishing spot but maybe point us in a general direction. I realize that water levels will be low at this time of the year and we're fine fishing a reservoir if we need to.
Thanks for any assistance, Birddog 68
Be hard to draw a license around northwest Colorado this year

Be hard to draw a license around northwest Colorado this year
I agree it would be. We'll be hunting with a outfitter with landowner tags. I contacted him a few weeks ago about the winter kill and tags. The state cut landowner tags for deer and antelope by about 70% but didn't cut any of the elk tags for landowner.
It's definitely going to be tough to tag one!