First year in forever I won't be hog hunting

Snox, I've only been farming/ranching for over 50 years so I know a little something about government money. I also own, lease and oversee over 5000 acres. In Texas I know for a fact that nothing is paid for feral hog damage by the state and for a fact Federal Crop Insurance does not pay for damage from hogs. We killed our first hog in this county in 1988 and no one has ever received any compensation for damage since then. I have been a director on a State Conservation Board for over 35 years and work closely with the feds. I also work with the Texas Parks and Wildlife with mule deer research. I attend on average 5 feral hog meetings a year with state and fed officials. We PAY a local organization that we set up and the state government for the use of a helicopter for hog control and we are blessed to have this. My son works for a huge crop insurance co and he says no money is paid by the feds for subsidizing any insurance for feral hog damage.

I'm not some keyboard expert that knows someone who has a neighbor that his cousin told him about federal money for hog damage. I'm living and breathing it in real life. I'm paying my dues every day.

I don't know what happens in Michigan but I know dealing with the feds they only offer one shoe for everyone and you have to make it fit.

I've dealt with hog hunters for 26 years now and they are full of empty promises and assurances of how they will control your hogs. Just like you they show up a couple of times a year and the rest of the time they are doing something else. The hogs keep breeding no matter what. You have to kill 80 percent of the current population just to keep it from expanding. No hog hunter can do this showing up a couple of weekends a year. Even the helicopter struggles to maintain this ratio.

So the only compensation we get in Texas is what we charge hunters. That's all.

Back to your blanket statement about fed money for feral hog damage, I still say BS.

... You have to kill 80 percent of the current population just to keep it from expanding. No hog hunter can do this showing up a couple of weekends a year.
doode. you've got the wrong hunters over there. i could kill all your hogs for you, but if you're getting $$$ for the damage, i'm afraid i'm going to have to charge you!! besides, you've probably got a few oil wells in your backyard :D

I know you are a farmer and have down this for years and your son may work for one insurance company. But my cousin who I'm close with works for usda. They just had a meeting saying they have spent 20 mil this year alone on farmers to help with the problem. It also took me a 30 sec google search to read about how much the feral hogs cost the us government. You are probably correct on different states having different ways and help to get fed dollars. But fact remains it does happen.
I'm not blaming others for trying to profit or help compensate for this. I think we have common ground here. I just feel $1 a pound is crazy I could easy get a huge bill after shooting a few pigs. I understand some hunters can be a complete pain in the *** like DJones. Lol but not all. You also have hunted and let others hunt with you like that hobo mentioned above. So you are not the type I'm talking about. I was specific about the ones who belly ache all day. Plus if you have hunters for $300 a hog hunting your place doesn't make them any better people than the same you you can get for $100 a pig. More likely they are the a holes you don't want. Again I have no problem if said owner says no to unknown people hunting and let's other. I just think the more hunter you attract and the cheaper per pig or day the more pig would be killed. I used to go more than once a year at $125 per pig and killed twice as many pigs before it went up.
On a side note I found a place to hunt some deer and as many pigs as I can kill in texas so I'm headed down next week.
DJones don't get any ideas about trying to bunk up with me or taking me to dinner.
I didn't mean to start anything and can only go by the info I know from reputable sources as can you. You must see the frustration the rest of us that do love to hunt hogs have when we read all these stories from farmers but then realize it could cost us lots of money to come help. That being said I'm a free market guys so if they are getting it that's what the market value is so I'm also ok with it just suck for guys like me. Can't wait to come spend some time in your state.

Last edited:
It's not a great article on it but it sounds like one of the many projects he has worked with. Again not trying to be a keyboard warrior and may have come off like they are just handing out free money sorry if I offended you.

I understand some hunters can be a complete pain in the *** like DJones.

You also have hunted and let others hunt with you like that hobo mentioned above
whoa there just a minute pard. i dont mind being called a pain in the *** but hobo??? that puts me in the same category as pakkcrap.

normally them's fightin words, but i'll tell you what. to show i don't hold a grudge, give me the gps coordinates to your hunting spot and i'll scout it in advance for you. i won't even take a gun. i wouldn't want anything like this to happen hehe...

[ame="https://youtu.be/X9LjaN81njg"]https://youtu.be/X9LjaN81njg[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/vFFnxnsRig0"]https://youtu.be/vFFnxnsRig0[/ame]

I'd have to think about the offer twice if DJ is extending the olive branch of peach to you Snox! Sounds fishy!

DJ - nice videos, but I think AC/DC's Thunderstruck would have worked very well with the footage!

ac/dc??? that sounds like more of that he/she crap. i bet you're one of those who listens to satinica

Nice video I always enjoy those. I would give you a gps of my hunt but lucky they have a gate and tall fence to keep your kind out.
I bought the hunt at a benefit. It's for white tail and all the hogs I can take which I'm told are many so I'm hoping for good luck. I think I kinda shock the guy when he said most guys don't shoot the pigs cause it messes up the deer hunting. I told him I'm shooting every one that walks out. Don't even care if I get a deer so they gave me my own guide. It's a place called star s ranch in mason. Lucked out and now my dad and his best friend are goin down to bring my stuff. Means I get to bring more toys and meat home. Should be a fun trip.

the triangle on edwards plateau between mason, fredricksberg and llano has some of the best hunting in the state for deer, hogs and exotics. some ranches might be over hunted, but the potential is there.

ive slept under newspapers but not rocks. other than that i dont get out much

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.