First time for everything 1000 yard group

Call up MGM Targets and get you some AR500! Then there will be no doubt of your hits.

I went back to shoot today. I thought I was shooting at 1200yds, but was hitting low on the first three, so I remeasured the distance. The target was 1273 yards away. After I corrected that I managed to get a 5" group on the next three.

DSCN1306_zps76e246c3.jpg

DSCN1308_zpsc8bc7638.jpg

You can just barely see the target, it is center of Chrony, at the base of the trees in background. There is a hint of orange.

DSCN1309_zpse58c5f74.jpg

The group was 5 inches, on an old microwave I found in the junk pile, and painted orange.

Does this mean I can post in the ELR forum?:D

Wow, thats awesome shooting. I've been contemplating rifle purchases, I think I'm leaning towards the Sendero after seeing your results.
Great post!gun)

I use the plain jane RCBS dies with the FL die. I do not have a neck die yet, soon, very soon. I use a Lyman all American turret press that my father in law gave to me years ago. My headspace is set at .001".

The brass that I am working with right now is second fired, so after the shot it is third fired. This next thing is debatable, however it is what I do, and seems to be working. I weigh all of my brass, and separate it all to the grain, I do not always do h2o water capacity tests, but sometimes I will do a few just to get an all around average. This is all done after they are resized, and trimmed, which I do every time. I never trim to min trim length it is usually closer to max, but all must be the same. (example if min length is 2.40 and max is 2.50, I try and get them all to 2.45) It didn't sound right the way I wrote it.

I weigh and seperate all of my bullets.

I use a charge master 1500 to dispense my powder, and then I check it on my RCBS 505 scale everytime. If the 505 doesn't register exactly zero I throw the powder back into the charge master, and do not dump into the case until it is exact.

I'm sure that all of the things I am stating are common practice for most

My Chrony readings yesterday where in order: 3087, 3089, 3089, 3087, 3089, 3100. The temp was at 60 deg. F ( I don't know if the temp has anything to do with that consistency, I added that fact because I do use US869) This almost amazed me more than even hitting the target yesterday. I had this happen one other time with this powder in the past where shooting a 168gr VLD I hit 3208 4 times out of 5.

What I am wondering is if that 3100 shot is the one that is high and right of the bullseye? I wish I could see them hitting, because that would be interesting stuff.

Bullet seating is done very slowly, right when I start feeling the slightest pressure, I back off a bit, then I run it back up slowly until bullet is seated. I think it may help with the concentricity.

That is what I have been doing so far. I am probably just getting very lucky. I am going for a longer shot tomorrow. I will post results, good or bad.

I wanted to add... I also use the Quickloads program. For those that don't know it comes with a couple pretty good ballistics programs. I am sold on it completely. If I enter the correct data, it gives me the correct firing solutions, or at least it has so far. It is even very accurate with what it comes up with for predicting velocities, so long as I enter all of the crucial information about the gunsite conditions. I am sure there are better programs available, but this one sure works for me.

Plain Jane RCBS FL dies and seater? Interesting. When you get your neck die, don't throw away your RCBS dies... they seem to be working just fine. How does that saying go? If it isn't broke....

I wouldn't say that's luck, those are a very consistent couple of groups.

Hard to say why the 1 o'clock bullet is "way" up there @ 1273 yds. It could be a lot of things. Not sure what chrony you're using but even the best, like an Oehler 35 are subject to some error. Average off the shelf chrony's claim +/- .5 accuracy which amounts to about 150 fps @ 3000 fps. Your groups say that your loads are very consistent. I wouldn't sweat the bullet that wandered off a little. For a stock Rem Sendero using plain Jane RCBS dies, you're doing well. I only hope I can do as well.

I appreciate the comment.

The neck sizer is just something I want to try so I can make the brass last a little longer. I use the term luck because I know this is hard stuff to pull off especially with a factory gun, and "inexpensive" equipment, dies and such. I must've gotten pretty good quality stuff I guess. Maybe we don't all need the highest price stuff out there to accomplish our goals? Some folks would not be happy with 5" at 1273 yards. Those folks probably have the best equipment money can buy, and can group an inch or less? Me, I am definetly satisfied.

Well I am off again to try a longer shot today. The wind has picked up a bit, should make it interesting.gun)

Mike

I think most BR shooters would be happy with 2" and 5" groups @ 1K and 1273. Granted they shoot 5 and 10 shot groups, but they are also shooting full tricked out BR rifles under very controlled conditions. I would be thrilled with those results.

I don't know about 7 RUMs, but my 300 RUM goes through cases in about 5-6 shots. The primer pockets get stretched, so I don't worry much about the necks. But less work stress on the necks would lead to more consistent tension.

Good luck today!

Mark

Well, here is what I came up with today. Not as tight as I was hoping for.

DSCN1312_zps1dd30d98.jpg

DSCN1311_zps81ea8504.jpg

DSCN1320_zpsdee54c72.jpg

I shot four rounds at 1475 yards. They were going a little faster than the 1273yard shot because the brass weight was 2 grains more today. The first one went right over the top, and the next three after I came down 1 MOA grouped. The group size was 20.5"

I tried again about an hour later, the wind changed directions and was blowing 5 mph so I redid my calcs. and this is the best I did with three shots.

DSCN1322_zps15ef0079.jpg

One high left on target, one in the dirt to the left in the painted circle, and who knows about the third. I don't think I was reading the wind very good there. My ammo was not as consistent today either, I was averaging about 3120fps. Low was 3116 high was 3128, with one @ 3183! Don't know what happened there? I guess the average was higher than 3120. The first three might still be good enough for elk at that range, but I think I will keep on practicing.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.