First time elk hunt in Colorado see if I can get some help

I can't offer anything re: 441 as I hunt a different unit. My area has very low harvest rates (6-12% which is far lower than the state averages), but I've been very fortunate to get an elk out of my unit the last few years. I echo the sentiment posted above about getting away from the roads if you can once you learn the area you want to be in. If there's an area that's a total pain to access, has to be gotten to on foot or hoof rather than wheels (for your final leg), and has food and water for elk, your odds start to go way up. That said, whenever I go to the processor I see whole elk in the back of trucks. I always wonder where the heck they're hunting and how they do it. Good luck on your hunt.

After 45+ years of elk hunting with many years of several tags, a pearl from my dad is in order......"where 90% of the hunters are less than 10% of the elk are and where less than 10% of the hunters are is where more than 90% of the elk are"
Hunt hard, be ruthless in your quest to fill tags and above all else have fun!
NW Colorado is a great place to harvest elk but not always easy!
DOC

You'll be at a severe disadvantage without scouting or hiring a guide. Not saying the stars won't align for you...

I think the main issue with the area that I was in was the pressure before rifle season. I know there were a bunch of guys including outfitters, bow and muzzle in the area pushing them hard all the way down to private. There were guys that i meet that had come in for 1st rifle a week early and were spooking them out also. Or they didn't know how to hunt the critter in the first place, they were basically pushing without shooting, instead of glassing. It's all about knowing or being able to get on private ground, where it becomes a payed to play hunt.

I've been to Colorado (I'm from Indiana myself) the last 3 years on archery hunts in the same OTC unit. This past season was the first time we even came close to killing one. I tell you this so you know to set reasonable expectations for your first trip or 2. I'm not sure how elk hunting is during the rifle seasons as I've never done it but I'd imagine with the lack of bugling it's gotta be tougher.

That said, I think you learn alot more when you just pick a spot and go rather than getting intel because I can tell you we got intel and none of it panned out. Every year is different. But what I'm getting at here is with intel, you often set expectations for yourself thinking you're hitting gold. This leads to frustration when it doesn't pan out and frustration leads to lack of focus and early ending trips, trust me, I've done it.

That all said, I don't blame you for trying. It's daunting the first trip... But don't overwhelm yourself trying to get things perfect. The learning curve is huge for us flatlanders.

Good luck and enjoy the process!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.