First time at the range with my reloads - no one died

Left to Lobster-

I offer the following in an attempt to help and not criticize, please accept it in that tone.....I think you've done the right thing getting into reloading, but I think ther is still a ton of potential in the rifle that is yet to be realized with the loads that you have developed so far. Everyone's definition of accuracy is a little different, and only you can decide when your load is good enough. That said, of you are interested in any suggestions, next steps, guidance, feel free to PM me,, and I'll be happy to help.

View attachment 192767
I can only share with you what my Browning 30-06 Hunter A-bolt loves.... Took me a while to find it and then fine tune the load but the results are very good and I have used it to take elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope and a few ground hogs. Sierra Game Kings. 165 Gr SBT. Winchester std primers. Hornady brass fire formed (once fired) to my barrel then OA sized to .002 off the lans. 56.0 gr of IMR 4350. Had to tweak the powder up and down .5 gr before I found this load. Went through about 20 different powder loads. THEN I FOUND THE MAGIC POTION. My rifle is factory OTS and shoots sub moa @200 yards from a bench on sandbags. This IS my hunting rifle. The pic above is a 3 shot group @200 yards from a bench on sandbags.
That's what Browning's do!!

Guess who's back.

Went to the range yesterday. What I did differently:

Set the powder dispenser to manual vs automatic

1st session was in the 70's, second was snow and a lot of windier. Yesterday, it was in the 80's with no wind.

changed my rest setup - didn't work in my favor.

Overall:

I bought a Lyman scissor lift to set my bag on. In principal it seemed like a good idea but it was garbage age. I shot 7 of the 10 rounds. It had a lot of wobble. I felt ok on #1. 2 & 3 was wobble and 4 & 5 where bench rest adjustments.

I'm not sure what to think. I think I need to move on to a new powder, I also think when can do my part it shoots excellent. I think the rifle can shoot better than me. It just doesn't seem so forgiving especially being a I have some Varget I could try and 4831. I'm in Michigan in the hunger games sectors not allowed to prosper. Powder is kinda hard to come by. What's your thoughts on my next move?

The shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.