First tikka build

Would you rate a Mac brothers better than a tikka?
Personally, no, but I rate every rem700 footprint behind a tikka when it comes to overall price, durability in snow, dust and being drop proof to negligent discharges.

For me, the only reason you don't build on a tikka is for extreme weight savings. Which means you're buying a pierce or a pure titanium.

I built a 6.5 saum a few years back on a tikka. I went with a 25" preferred barrel .750 straight taper. Bought a factory "hunter wood" stock and had the lug bedded. Bought a lri fluted bolt. Kept the factory bottom metal and mag. I topped it with a sightron. It's roughly 9.4 lbs loaded up. It shoots incredibly well for what I have in it. With 140 accubonds I have total confidence in the performance from coyotes to elk. I've always loved the look for wood stocks with stainless barrels. Hope this helps. Best wishes

I built a 6.5 saum a few years back on a tikka. I went with a 25" preferred barrel .750 straight taper. Bought a factory "hunter wood" stock and had the lug bedded. Bought a lri fluted bolt. Kept the factory bottom metal and mag. I topped it with a sightron. It's roughly 9.4 lbs loaded up. It shoots incredibly well for what I have in it. With 140 accubonds I have total confidence in the performance from coyotes to elk. I've always loved the look for wood stocks with stainless barrels. Hope this helps. Best wishes
What kind of speeds are you getting from the 6.5 saum and how does it shoot group wise?

140 accubonds shoot 3100, 143 eldx shoot 3050. The 143 shoots the tightest right around 3.5" at 600 yds for 5 shots. The accubonds are very close but they do get blown around a good bit at 600. I'm but no means a great shot or a competition reloder but I really like this combo. I'd definitely buy another barrel from pbb.

140 accubonds shoot 3100, 143 eldx shoot 3050. The 143 shoots the tightest right around 3.5" at 600 yds for 5 shots. The accubonds are very close but they do get blown around a good bit at 600. I'm but no means a great shot or a competition reloder but I really like this combo. I'd definitely buy another barrel from pbb.
Did you have them lap it? And 3.5" at 600yds is a dang good group!!

No I didn't get it lapped. Like I said I'm very happy with the caliber and its performance. I've killed 2 bulls and neither have went more that 40 yds. In my honest opinion it's one of the better choices for western hunting. Recoil is extremely manageable and it shoots flat. I think if I did it again though I'd go 6.5 prc just for the ability to use factory ammo in a pinch.