First Shot Jitters

cabts93

My first time reloading ever
I've reloaded 6 shells for my 338LM; Savage 111

All of them Norma Brass(Brand new), 215 Federal Primers, IMR 4831, and a Barnes 265gr LRX BT bullet to top it off

3 of them 70.5 grains
3 of them 71 grains

I've called and spoke to an IMR and Barnes rep to quadruple check IMR 4831 isn't too fast of a powder, and they've both said IMR 4831 isn't ideal but it will work. Both recommended H1000.

Now I finally had the chance to fire them the other day. Loaded a shell, flipped the safety, put my finger on the trigger...

I didn't have the nuts to squeeze it. Does anyone have any tips on confidence? Or is this as scary of a load as I think it is.

I was very nervous the first time I shot my own handloads. They were 8mm Mauser and I was very hesitant to actually pull the trigger.

5 years and over 1000 rounds later, I'm less nervous about pulling the trigger on my handloads than I am with factory ammunition. Not that I'm really nervous either way.

If you're really nervous, get an old tire and setup the gun in that to shoot the first couple. Run a rope to the trigger to so you can pull it from a distance. I do that with milsurps the first time I fire most of them. Never had an issue, but it'd keep you safe. It can cause issues with the rifle finish and it's hard to get any accuracy out of them, although I've been able to hit a milk jug @ 100 yards with one of the mausers. :)

Relax. You'll be fine.

Matt

Start with verified data and I don't mean the internet. Reloading manuals from the bullet manufacturer; Nosler, Sierra, Barnes etc. and online from Hogdon, Nosler. Start 10% off max for small cartridges and 5% for large ones. Work up in increments that match the cartridge size I.E. .5gr for small and 1gr for large etc. Once you understand and know the rifle better you'll be better at judging your starting loads. Some rifles have tight chambers/short throats etc. that will cause you to reach max. pressure before reaching a "book" max. By starting low and working up it'll give you confidence and assurance that you have a safe load. Welcome to reloading! Loading manuals have a wealth of knowledge for the beginner.

I was very nervous the first time I shot my own handloads. They were 8mm Mauser and I was very hesitant to actually pull the trigger.

5 years and over 1000 rounds later, I'm less nervous about pulling the trigger on my handloads than I am with factory ammunition. Not that I'm really nervous either way.

If you're really nervous, get an old tire and setup the gun in that to shoot the first couple. Run a rope to the trigger to so you can pull it from a distance. I do that with milsurps the first time I fire most of them. Never had an issue, but it'd keep you safe. It can cause issues with the rifle finish and it's hard to get any accuracy out of them, although I've been able to hit a milk jug @ 100 yards with one of the mausers. :)

Relax. You'll be fine.

Matt

You took a page out of my book with the tire thing. 7.7mm Arisaka was the first for me with IMR 4831. Scared as hell when i pulled the string. 50+ years later I look back and laugh.

My first time reloading ever
I've reloaded 6 shells for my 338LM; Savage 111

All of them Norma Brass(Brand new), 215 Federal Primers, IMR 4831, and a Barnes 265gr LRX BT bullet to top it off

3 of them 70.5 grains
3 of them 71 grains

I've called and spoke to an IMR and Barnes rep to quadruple check IMR 4831 isn't too fast of a powder, and they've both said IMR 4831 isn't ideal but it will work. Both recommended H1000.

Now I finally had the chance to fire them the other day. Loaded a shell, flipped the safety, put my finger on the trigger...

I didn't have the nuts to squeeze it. Does anyone have any tips on confidence? Or is this as scary of a load as I think it is.

Follow your reloading manual, enjoy the learning process (esp on signs of pressures and other techniques) ... as you gain personal experience, your confidence level will follow. Nothing beats personal experience.

SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!

You could always invite a friend along to shoot with you.:D

Your load looks like a perfect starting charge, shoot with confidence and have fun. I do remember loading my first 10 rounds for a 30-06 when I was 17 and being more than a little nervous on the first shot. I read every load book I could get my hands on, twice!

To be honest, I still get a little nervous when I sit down behind a new gun and pull the trigger on some odd ball wildcat that I've come up with using only computer generated load data and a few educated guesses. I haven't had an "incident" yet!

Andrew

First Shots Results

So this pretty well sums it up.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Ignore the bottom two hits on the plate, those are from a friends' .308, the top two are mine.

The first shot didn't hit because I did the Napoleon method for the first round.

Looks like I have some zeroing to do.

Attachments

• SfhXvjP.jpg
    SfhXvjP.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 56
  • aJGhNBl.jpg
    aJGhNBl.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 76
I remember my first reload shot.

I strapped the rifle down on sandbags and bungee cords and remote fired it with a stick..

That's funny stuff. Wow.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.