I just had a first !

I just purchased a Remington 700 chambered in 270 wsm from a local gun shop. It was on the used rack and sporting a Mc Millan stock . Looked like new not even a scratch on the bolt face. Before I skim bed and work up a hand load I like to sight it in with factory fodder before I go any further so I can see how she acts before improvements are made. All I had was some Federal 130gn power shok.
2 boxes 2 different lots . 1 shot felt good went to eject and the bolt was locked up , now I didn't have to beat it open but it was extremely tight.
the case has ejector marks and slight ridge around primer other than that the brass looks fine .
So I took one from the other lot same exact thing. I've never had this happen with factory ammo. I checked
The chamber dimensions along with the free bore and everything seems spot on. The ammo was store bought from Wally World . This really stumps me. Maybe they load these that hot ?
What's your thoughts ?
I had the same problem with a Rem 700, right off the Store rack, brand new never fired 308. Called Remington and the paid to sent it back to them and the made it right. There quality control was very poor for awhile.

I had the same problem with a Rem 700, right off the Store rack, brand new never fired 308. Called Remington and the paid to sent it back to them and the made it right. There quality control was very poor for awhile.
over the past 7-10 years I have had over 40 Remington 700s in the shop for this ruff chambers burs

Well I checked the chamber with Go and No Go gauges and everything functions as it should . I slightly polished the chamber as it looked pretty rough ,I also sanded the magazine down as it sat higher than the feed ramp and was scratching the brass pretty bad .Cleaned it once more
And applied a light coat of oil and then ran a jag and patch . Ran a 20 gage swab in the chamber to dry it out . Took it to the range and it shot And ejected like it was supposed to . .428 group with factory fodder . If I had to guess I would say it was oil in the chamber like Mag Man and Crazy horse suggested . I've been hand loading ,shooting ,hunting, buying guns for 40 years . Yes I can still make a mistake. Thanks for all your input guys !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts