First rifle paint job

NW Hunter

I thought I would give painting the rifle a try this week. I ordered an Easy Way camo kit from DuraCoat. The camo pattern is called Advanced Tiger Stripe.
It normally comes in green, brown and tan. I thought I would change it up and used the colors of the US Navy (black, dark grey, navy blue & light blue).
The kit comes with a throw-away sprayer, four paint colors and a stencil kit. I ordered an extra stencil kit and I am glad I did. Every stencil was used on the job.
While the EasyWay kit does a good job, I did learn that I made a few mistakes. After painting the rifle with the base color of black, I applied the other colors too heavy. When I pulled off the stencils, it left slightly raised edges between the paint colors.I guess time will tell if these edges will chip off.
I also found when spraying the smallest stencils, the paint would pool up inside the stencil quickly and would "blob up" when removing the stencil. I found that using a small detail paint brush with most of the paint wiped off worked best.
Good or bad, here is the result of cabin fever. I must say it was a fun project and I would do it again.:D

Attachments

• 2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 095.jpg
    2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 095.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 122.jpg
    2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 122.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 126.jpg
    2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 126.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 127.jpg
    2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 127.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 134.jpg
    2013 RIFLE PAINT JOB 134.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 118
Thanks guys. At first I thought it turned out too dark. Once I got it out in the light, the colors stood out more.

jskmtd, It has 3 coats of matte clear coat on it. I have noticed that the edges are starting to lay back down as it cures longer. Duracoat says it takes a full month for the resins to harden. Maybe I dodged a bullet.:rolleyes:

royinidaho, I've thought about it. For now I like the contrast between the camo and the black.

calib, the kit comes with your choice of stencil kit choosing from about 20 different camo patterns. When the kit came, I found out that there was only enough stencils for one side of the rifle. I called duracoat and ordered a duplicate set of stencils. Even with two complete set of stencils, I used all the stencils in the two sets plus I traced four of the larger stencils onto blue masking tape. These I used for the raised cheek piece.

That looks GREAT! I'm definitely going to not be able to duplicate that, but I'm going to give it a shot!

Great job!

trebark, here are the specs ...

Built by JBEAGLE RIFLES out of Ridgefield, WA

300WM shooting 190 gr Berger Hunt VLD over 78.9gr H1000, RWS Brass, CCI Benchrest large rifle primers.
Velocity at 3018fps

Blueprinted Remington Stainless action
Bartlein 5r 24" stainless barrel with 11.25 twist
Pinned Holland recoil lug
Pillar Bedded McMillian Varmit Hunter stock with free floating action
Jewel Trigger set at 2 lbs
PTG three position safety
Gre-Tan aluminum firing pin/spring assembly
Holland Brake
TPS 20 moa Picatinny Rail with 8-40 screws
TPS Rings
Bushnell Tactical XRS 4.5x30 Zero Stop Mil Scope G2 reticle
Holland scope level
Badger Angle Cosine Indicator

For a grand total of 12.1 lbs

trebark, forgot the barrel contour. It's a few thousands under a sendero contour with a .705 muzzle:D. Bartlein built it to JBEAGLE RIFLE's measurements.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.