First Rifle Ever!

Timberrline

Yup. I'm 37 (long time coming), and a new rifle owner. Like I said, when I introduced myself, I have shot a few rifles over the years, but have always been more of a bowhunter, and decided this year to seriously take up rifle hunting here in Colorado.

Thanks to this forum, for the knowledge that exists, to help a newbie, like me, out for his first purchase!

I bought a Savage 116 FCSS in .338 Winchester Magnum. It seemed to be the consensus, for a great all-around big game gun for elk/bear/deer here in Colorado.

Now, where to go from here is the next step? I need a scope, but for a while, won't have over $500 to spend on one. Any recommendations in that price range? Obviously, I don't plan on shooting at long ranges for a while, until I learn the finer points of owning a gun like this, but I would like to put decent glass on it, and upgrade parts as I get further into this type of hunting.

So, let's here your scope recommendations in my price range, and any other upgrades I should immediately consider. Thanks!

For $500 you might look into the Burris Fullfield line of scopes, I've had two & both were tough as nails, good optics & never lost zero. A bunch of our peers are singing praise of the Vortex line but I do not have experience with that particular brand.

Nikon makes a very nice scope under $500. I have 5 Dad has 5 and my brother has 1. ( he only has one rifle too) I read good things Sightron. (sp) but have not seen or used one. Same for the Burris. Haven't bought a Leopold since 91 when I bought my first Nikon. None that I've owned have had a problem. The glass is better than expected but it's no S&B

IMO you will probably want to get a high end scope to reach the .338 full potential out west in the next two years, as your interest and know-how increase. Also you might find your self wanting another rifle that is cheaper to shoot, less recoil for recreation and practice. So the first scope you buy dont buy with haste, as you could use it on another aplication in the future.

With that said I am sugesting a Leupold VX-2 4X12X40mm without the adjustable objective with regular duplex crosshairs. This scope is simple , the diference between 9 and 12 power is significant, the resale value on Leupold is good, lifetime warrety , and you can use it on everything from a .22 to a 300. And lets not forget after you get hooked on shooting you can use it on another rifle with ease.

Yes you can buy cheaper scopes and of '' simular quality '' but this scope makes since to me as I own two and baught one for a friends son at Christmas. I really like this scope. I own 9,12,14 and 20 power leupolds and I love my 12 power. Most important of all you can get it for under 500$.

any how what really matters is what feels and looks good for you . Good luck.:)

Currently shooting Nikons (Monarch and Buckmaster) and Leupolds (LR and VX-III) and all have good glass and solid adjustments with one 6-18X and the other three being 6.5-20X.
With that said, I saw a Millett Tactical TRS-1 4-16x 50mm on Midway today on sale for $299.99. This scope has a 30mm tube with Side Focus and Illuminated Mil-DotBar Reticle Matte and has good reviews. I may look into this myself. Check it out. JohnnyK.

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 (Mil Dot or BDC Reticle) $300-$320; Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 BDC Reticle $430; Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 $400. The Nikon scopes get you a good mix of decent glass and nice features. If you are after the best glass you can get for your money, go with the Zeiss.

Last edited:
Welcome to the sickness. You'll like your Savage. Now you just need to get started reloading so you can afford to put some extra rounds down the range. I saw someone mention the Millet TRS for $299 and I gotta say it is a pretty decent scope for the money. I've shot mine off a 260rem and 300wm with no issues and it tracks very well. Never had any problems getting back to zero and I do a lot of turret twisting. I'm sure there is better glass out there but with all the features I doubt you find a scope that has everything the TRS includes. PM me if you are ever in the Springs area and maybe we can arrange for you to try it out before you buy.

Well, the Nikon Monarch seems to be a well respected scope. So, my question, shouldn't I go with a Mil-Dot reticle instead of a BDC reticle? I thought Mil-Dot reticles were sort of the standard among the long range crowd here.

The Monarch is a great scope (i've had two), as far as glass goes they are superb, repeatability has been good, but, IMHO the eye relief of my two 6.5-20's was.... for a lack of a better term, terrible. On my heavy varmint rigs they worked ok but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't find their way onto a large caliber magnum. Go to your local dealer & play with a few before making your decision is all that i'm recommending, please don't think i'm trying to talk you out of it, just sharing experience.

The mil-dot system works, it depends on how far you plan to shoot; if you aren't going to stretch it out 500+ don't bother, it looks cool but isn't really needed IMHO. The BDC reticles are ok as well but can be difficult calibrating the power ring to your particular cartridge (my experience). I have been buying the regular Duplex reticle & dialing the needed MOA, that way I KNOW my hold matches my drop (as long as I do my part):D

There are some great deals in the classifieds on this forum. You may want to keep an eye out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.