First Rifle Build. Any help appreciated.

George79

So now that I have two kids (boy and girl) both my wife and I are done having babies. She's harassing me to go get snipped. Ok fine, well I'm gonna build me a rifle. Been doing a lot of research and here's a list of parts I want to start ordering. I would like any input you guys might have being this is my first one. I'm looking at going with 6.5 Creedmoor.

Stiller Predator action or Deviant Defiance
Jewel trigger
Brux SS barrel #5 contour with hybrid flutes
5/8x24 threads for suppressor or muzzle device (1:8 twist / 24" for 6.5 CM)
Manners MCS-TA stock in OD Green with DBM magazine mini-chassis
Badger Ordnance Bipod Accessory Rail
Atlas bipod (BT10-LW17)
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP

Do I start ordering parts or find a gunsmith that will take care of everything?

So now that I have two kids (boy and girl) both my wife and I are done having babies. She's harassing me to go get snipped. Ok fine, well I'm gonna build me a rifle. Been doing a lot of research and here's a list of parts I want to start ordering. I would like any input you guys might have being this is my first one. I'm looking at going with 6.5 Creedmoor.

Jewel trigger
Atlas bipod (BT10-LW17)

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I see no problem with your personal choices; recommendations boils down to varying personal preferences. So here it goes, depending on your suppressor, you might want to reconsider your contour. It might be good enough but the last I talk to my gunsmith on my project, recommended .750" min at the muzzle. I ended up ordering a 27" Lilja with Sendero contour to better handle the extra weight at the muzzle (Eliteiron .30 Bravo suppressor). Hopefully, othesr will chime in.

Warning: This is NOT going to be your last build. :D

IIWY, as I am doing right now (parts acquisition), do your research and order the parts yourself, this way you know all of the hold up is gunsmith time, instead of hearing excuses for awaiting parts ... but that's just me.

Good luck on your project build ............... and also on the other stuff you're having done. :cool:gun)

Cheers!

Ed

FEENIX is right this wont be your last build.... I built my first custom 300 win mag last year, worked up loads pretty much from all the guys on here, I'm shooting steady group after group of .020 moa at 100 and still inside a nickel at 300... First long range animal was a muley@ 741 one shot though the lungs and he dropped, the day after i got a 6x6 elk @463 right through the chest. Most of these guys know what they're talking about! I'm now building another as we speak in 6.5x284 for antelope and whatever other critters come around. Good Luck with your build and read the forums lots of great info there!!!

Have fun. Depends on builder. Mine had me purchase parts and either send directly to him or have it delivered to me then give to him. Establish good communication. Theses guys get really busy. Throw in delay of delivery items and then build time list (you are not their only customer). I would ask for a suggested turn around time but understand a good build takes time and precision from the Masters Hand.

Builder may have items laying around, discounts with companies, etc. Just establish good communications with them and go from there.

I had one friend who purchased all the items then delivered it all at one time. Had it turn around in about month.

I would talk to your smith see what price he can get on what parts and, how long it will take to get them.Then make my decision as to what I would order myself. My smith can get me a better price on some stuff and other things he has me order because I can get them cheaper and faster.
Good luck on getting sniped I had it done last year and all I can say is Listen to the doctor and, take as much time off laying around doing nothing as long you can!!
I did not listen, thought I felt good after a couple days went back to work BAD IDEA!! very painful! :D
Oh one more thing don't believe the guys that tell you it wasn't that bad .

Jewel trigger
Atlas bipod (BT10-LW17)

I would pass on the Vortex. None at the range have been as clear as Leupold.

Good luck on getting sniped I had it done last year and all I can say is Listen to the doctor and, take as much time off laying around doing nothing as long you can!!
I did not listen, thought I felt good after a couple days went back to work BAD IDEA!! very painful! :D
Oh one more thing don't believe the guys that tell you it wasn't that bad .

+1 !!!

+2 on this won't be your last build. Words of advice so you will have money for future builds, AFTER THE SNIP,MAKE SURE AND SUBMIT AT LEAST 3 TEST SAMPLES AND GO BACK FOR YEARLY TESTING.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.