First Post, latest hunt

oakflat

The site keeps asking me to post something, so here is a brief story about my latest hunt. Went out about three weeks ago to a ranch we hunt near Hollister to look for pigs and try out the 100 grain Barnes TTSX loads I worked up for the 25-06 since this is Condor country and no lead is allowed. While we had several days of great hikes in steep terrain we saw only two pigs at long range, 500 yards, in thick brush, oh well.

On the other hand the ground squirrels were out and about and provided some great shooting from 100 to 300 yards with 36 grain .223 Varmint Grenades. While we were hiking the hills we saw a number of golden eagles working the ground squirrels and the ducks in the ponds. While the ground squirrels relaxed a little and the rifle cooled one of these eagles came by very close and helped himself to some scraps. I am always impressed with the size of these birds and their fearless disregard of humans.

Spring is on its way and more pigs and ground squirrels will start to show as warmer days arrive.

Oakflat

Sounds like you had a great time. Eagles are very cool. You should check out the thread regarding Hunting Wolves with Eagles.

Have you tried the 80gr TTSX in your 25-06?

Mine has a slow twist and won't stabilize the 100gr TTSX.

But, I can run the 80gr up to 3700+ fps. I've only shot paper with it thus far.

They should be great for small to medium game out to +500yds.

-- richard

Yes, had a great time.

I have been working with the 100 grain TTSX due to its trajectory being nearly equal to three other loads that I use for varmints, has a little more resistance to the windy day syndrome, plus i needed a little more stopping power. Pigs have some tough spots on them. The test has been working up reasonably accurate loads with very close trajectories which allows me to use one setting on my scope. Fiddling with the velocities has resulted in acceptable performance with a total of four loads, this also aids in keeping the number of trajectories to remember to a minimum.

Going to look around near San Luis Obisbo in a few weeks and see how the oinker's are doing there .

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.