First long range test with the 338 Allen Mag....

[ QUOTE ]
Uncle B,

IT showed up yesterday. How did you ship the plate? It showed up bare with just my address and the UPS bar code taped to the plate. I was suprised they would ship it that way but it made it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tire Rack does the same thing. $800 of tires will come with a bar code and packing slip taped to them. The UPS guy just stacks them up on my front porch.

Well,

I was hoping to get the IOR 9-36 mounted up and go slap the hell out of that gong from Uncle B a few times this weekend but the rings that came with the IOR were high rings and they set the scope up far to high for my liking. Called Val at IOR and he said as long as the rings were not torqued down on a rail base he would exchange them for a set of lower rings.

The high rings would have worked but I figured why cut any corners and packed them up and shipped them down for replacement.

I also got to thinking about finishing the rifle, that being pulling the barrel and bead blasting everything to get it ready to send down to Shawn C for teflon coating.

Figured since I would be waiting for rings I may as well get this done as well. Luckily the 40" barrel JUST fit in my blast cabinet. By the time I was finished blasting it my left had was more then a bit tired from supporting its weight but its finished and Monday it will ship off to Shawn, probably overnight shipping.

So for the time being, the 338 AM is out of commission but the next time I post about the rifle I should have pics of her in her finished state, Black from recoil pad to muzzle, with Black Sunshine diamond scribed on the barrel.

More to come on a week or to I hope.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,
That is very interesting that the gong showed up that way,UPS made me package it and I packaged it very well. must have seen some rough handling on its way. too bad you did not get to use it this weekend but will happen soon enough. You must post pic's of Black Sunshine's new dress when you get her back from Shawn. Also I am very interested to see what you think of the IOR scope after you get a chance to really use it.
UB

Uncle B,

I will certainly post some pics of the finised rifle. Should look pretty nice. Judging from other work I have had Shawn coat for me it will be very classy!!

I am very impressed with the IOR so far. I have been playing with it next to my NXS 3.5-15 50mm and in low light when both are set on the same power I would say the IOR is a bit brighter and both appear to be the same clearness and sharpness.

Only things I have found so far with the IOR are that on the top end powders, I would say 32x and up, there is a slight yellow heu to the image. Clarity and sharpness are still extremely good but there is a slight yellow hew that is not visable at lower powers. I suspect this is just a lens coating thing and I am not worried about it at all. It actually seems to brighten things up with the yellow tint. Again, it is not dramatic, in fact it is VERY suttle but it is there at the highest powders.

Another thing is that there are only 60 moa of adjustment as compared to the 65 moa that it is listed at. Not a big thing again but those extra 5 moa could come in handy!!!

One thing I really like about the scope is the parallax adjustment. Unlike any other quality scope I have tested, Mk4, NXS, etc... The PA on this scope is VERY fine. What I mean by that is there is only roughly 1/3 of a revolution to focus from 50 meters to infinity. Very little rotation is needed for focusing which really seems to aid in getting a good parallax adjustment because you can see the change dramatically in the scope with very little adjustment rotation. I really like this feature.

I really like the M-8 reticle as well. Basically a MLR or TMR reticle with an extra 5 mils of hashes on the bottom stadia and a fine stadia to the bottom of the scope to clean up the bottom field of view.

Until I get her out and send some bullets down range I will not have a good review to offer but so far I am very impressed. She actually looks right at home on the big 338 AM.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Well, she is off to Idaho for the final touches to get her completed.

Will post picks and results soon. I will do my best to knock that new gong into the next county!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Not yet, planning on getting it back before the long weekend hopefully. Last update I got was she was finished being coated and off to the engraver to be diamond scribed with APS 338 Allen Mag on the left side of the barrel and "Black Sunshine" on the right in a fancy script font.

Got in my Vhita Vouri 20N29 as well to test but I am still waiting on the lower replacement rings from IOR to get the 9-36 IOR down lower to the axis of the bore. Hopefully the rings get here soon so the rifle will be finished.

Will report when its all together. I have to beat the hell out of that gong I got from Uncle B!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.