First Kill with CVA Apex 242 yds.

joegun

Got my first kill with my new Apex earlier this month in Iowa's late muzzleloader deer season. Shot a nice big doe at 242 yds. Although It wasn't my most accurate load, I decided to go with 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 pushing a 290 grain Barnes TMZ bullet. My Apex is topped with a Leupold Grand Slam. I had used the 200yd dot at the range and it was 1" low and 1" right at 200, so I used the 250yd dot. Not a perfect shot, but I recovered her after a short tracking job. The bullet mushroomed perfectly just like it was supposed to. It went in the left hip shattering the femur and ended up on the opposite front shoulder just under the hide. I love the gun, the ease of loading the Barnes bullets and the ease of cleaning after 20-30 shots with BH. I drilled out the BP to .035 and am using CCI 209M primers with no hangfires after 100 shots.
P.S. Just got back from southern Iowa yesterday for the doe highpower season. Smoked 2 big does with the .243 barrel on the Apex. Nosler 95 Gr. BT CT in front of 35 grains of IMR 3031. 1st. was 100yds. and the 2nd. was 167 yds. Short recovery for both. I really like this Gun.
Joegun

With the load listed above it will do just over an inch. That load is for my Grandsons Savage. It runs about 2900fps and is .060 off the lands in my Apex. I was testing IMR 4350 at just under max (.020-.045 off) with not much luck, but ran out of time. I will continue to work on it when it warms up alittle this spring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JOEGUN

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.