CVA Accura V2 with Thor Bullets

CLP

Hello all,

With work being busy this summer I am just now getting around to putting my loads together for Colorado Muzzleloader season next month. Are any of you guys shooting Thor Bullets out of a CVA Accura? I am trying to figure out which size I need to order and I don't want to burn extra time trying a sample pack and I don't want to order sizes that I know for sure won't work.

Also what charge seems to be working the best?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thor sends the kit for free, and it shows up fast.

The .501" fit my Accura V2 well. When you figure out the size, he sends the bullets first, with an invoice.

My rifle shoots the 300g into less than an inch at 100 yards with open sights.

Winchester 209 primers and 100g of Blackhorn.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I talked to Terry at Thor today and they are all out for the season. I'm going to try and get my hands on some Hornady FPB's and try those. Any experience with those?

I hope they shoot well for you. I have searched all over creation and have been unable to find them or the Federal Bor Lock 270's. I ordered some 350 gr Bor Lock's to try. I'm getting good results with Powerbelts but I read one good review for every bad review when used on game.

Over the decades shooting the muzz, one thing I realized a long time ago, was to start looking and never stop looking for supplies. I look all year long and never stop looking. I waited just one time to get supplies, yup, it was just before the season too. I ended up borrowing what I needed and dang near begged for that. Lesson learned there.

Never stop looking for supplies gun)

Thanks Encore, that's probably the best piece of advice I could get right now. I've definitely learned the hard way. I didn't realize muzzleloading items were so seasonal compared to centerfire supplies.

Thanks Encore, that's probably the best piece of advice I could get right now. I've definitely learned the hard way. I didn't realize muzzleloading items were so seasonal compared to centerfire supplies.

I keep telling shooters, buy it early or when you see it. The guys that will be shooting BH209 from their rifles are the worst. They wait, normally until the last minute, then can't find it any place. Its not that there's a shortage of it, as Western has a year round warehouse full of it. Its that the distributors just don't spend their money and get a bunch out to the retailers, who in turn then say, "We just can't get it for some reason" and don't want their money tied up all year with something setting on a shelf.
I shoot more than most and also a different rifle. When I buy supplies, I buy them in bulk, such as a CASE of propellant and 500 or 600 bullets and sabots. I constantly look for a case (1,000) of primers. Keep your propellant and supplies dry and they'll all last for a longer time than most believe. Dehumidifiers are your friend when it comes to propellant.
Always buy it when you see it and buy it early.....:)

I managed to shoot a Thor bullet out of my optima pro, and all the way through a Colorado bull last Wednesday. Performance was amazing. Hope you had the same experience on your hunt. And please let us know what you ended up using.

I managed to shoot a Thor bullet out of my optima pro, and all the way through a Colorado bull last Wednesday. Performance was amazing. Hope you had the same experience on your hunt. And please let us know what you ended up using.

CONRATS Johnnie Walker! That's awesome! I'm headed out to hunt Mulies in Unit 122 in a few weeks. I'll update you on bullet choice and HOPEFULLY performance.

Hey JOHNNIE WALKER, just wanted to follow up and let you guys know that I got my hands on some 300 grain Hornady FPB's and some 270 grain Federal Bor Locks to try before my Mule Deer Hunt earlier this week. I shot both at 100 yards with the Bor Locks performing noticeably better on average with respect to accuracy. They grouped approximately 1.5 inches whereas the FPB's were consistently around 3 inches. My only gripe with the FPB's were the tips. When I seated them with the factory ramrod the tip would pull out within the threads of the rod. This did seam to create accuracy issues. The Bor Locks were a pleasure to load.

After testing each bullet I chose to hunt with the Bor Locks. I shot a 7.5 year old buck on Tuesday with them and they performed beautifully. I can't say what they would do at extreme distance as I shot him at about 20 yards but with a hard quarter to me I shot him in front of the front shoulder and the bullet passed well into his chest leaving a massive wound channel. I tried to recover the bullet but unfortunately I was unsuccessful. Based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Thanks to all those who replied to my thread!

Great job!!! Glad you were successful. I also considered the Bor-Locks. I'll have to keep them in mind. Pictures?

Thank your sir! I attached a picture. Between the lack of wind and the record setting temperatures it was a tough hunt this week.

Attachments

• 20151013_193225.jpg
    20151013_193225.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 393
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.