First hog of the year!

OKbow87

Not exactly long range... only 140 yards, but the 257 weatherby finally got to draw some blood. Shot him high in the shoulder and took out both shoulder blades and the spine. The 100 grain tsx did awesome! It blew through both shoulders, damaged the spine, and when we opened him up everything inside was pretty much mush. Its pretty nice to get to go hunting in the snow here in Oklahoma. Most of the time its only something I get to dream about!

Colin

2007_colin_s_first_blood_pig_007.jpg

Decent cutters on him too...
2007_colin_s_first_blood_pig_010.jpg

nice pics, thats a crazy colored hog. I would love to hunt those things. Do you guys eat them? do they make good bacon, sausage, etc?

thanks for posting

lovdasnow - I havent ever had one processed so I dont really know. We usually just cut the backstraps out, and then quarter off the hind quarters. We make stew or shiska-bobs out of the rear quarters and grill up the backstraps. Its pretty good we use alot of the cajun injector on them b/c sometimes they have a gamey taste. It helps if you soak them in vinegar for a little while too.

Screech - Its a mark v ultra-lightweight. I run 73.5 grains of rl 22 under that 100 tsx, necks turned, federal gm215 primers and seated way out. The length measured off the ogive is 2.935". I can only get two in the magazine and one in the chamber and still get it to feed right. It consistently shoots ride around 1/2 moa out to 500 which is as far as I have shot it.

B.B. - East of Guthrie on the Lincoln/Logan county line. These things are starting to get all over. We hunt them up there and down on the Washita by Davis/Sulpher, but the ones up north here sure seem to be less nocturnal than the ones down there.

Nice Hog! my brother got one last year and turned him into snousage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif and it was some fine eatin we were going to texas next week but the wife had different plans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

AWESOME hog Colin I had to download them to let tha guys(My Friends) in Alabama. Louisiana,and South Carolina see how us Oklahoma Boyz DO IT!!!!! Marcus,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.