first groups w/ 300 rum

splattermatic

i had a load worked up with 168 gr banes tsx's, but i wanted to try a different bullets.
so i bought a box of 180 gr sst's.
i had been shooting 99 gr's reldr 25 for right at 3400 fps with the barnes's, so i backed off 2 grains, and fired this group.
velocity was good, no signs of pressure, so up we go with the powder charge.
97 gr's of reldr 25 average 3234 fps with the sst's.

now if i can get the pic to load...
the first 2 shots were way off from my sight in with the tsx's, but they hit at 3 o'clock from center. nice so far..
so i cleaned the barrel again, since i am still breaking it in, and fired again, wow... way low and right...
didn't clean , and fired 2 for a total of 3...
the next 2 hit about dead center..
2 - 2 shot groups in about a half inch, i think this combo has promise..

[image]
180sst1.jpg
[/image]

[ QUOTE ]
so i cleaned the barrel again, since i am still breaking it in, and fired again, wow... way low and right...

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1st shot after cleaning will almost never go anywhere near you zero. This is a foul shot. Dont be suprised by this. Always load an extra or two for fouling. Then shoot a 3 shot group. Also, it helps to run a patch with a few drops of light weight gun oil down the bore before shooting the foul shot. This helps cut back on the copper to steel friction and cuts down on the copper fouling. After that, you have powder fouling to help.

What kind of rifle is it?

Looks like it has good promise!

it's basically a rebarreled 8mm rem mag classic, i've had for years.i got a new take off 300 rum barrel cheap so we barreled her up.
the stock is a fajen "timberline" iirc, with a pac decelorator pad...but basically stock.
it's going to get taken apart again tomm., and trued up, and new base and rings, scope, and some other things.
i wanted it for a carry elk gun, took out it last weekend but no luck, but i did like it for carrying and it's not too heavy.
i think it'll work out....
it's my dedicated carry lr elk/deer gun...
i have others for other situations..
just something new to tinker with..
[image]
300rum2.jpg
[/image]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts