First ever Bull Elk and 5x 6 Whitey for novice 58 yr old hunter

Wapiti Seeker

This bull elk was taken after a 2.5 mile slog through 10" of new snow over wet leaves and grass sidehilling from 2200ft to 4800ft IN THE DARK, no trail, llamas couldn't track it!

431 yard shot, 270 win, Browning brand new SS X-Bolt, Remington Core-Lockt 150 grain bullet. The white tail wasn't long range, 110 yrds, but a trotting one shot kill nonetheless through the heart !

Attachments

• Elk Creek and Missoula 012.jpg
    Elk Creek and Missoula 012.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Elk Creek and Missoula 098.jpg
    Elk Creek and Missoula 098.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 124
Congrats! Good shootin and two fine animals! I'm on the outskirts of Geezerville myself and got my first elk last year so I can relate.

looks nice! i still think a 270 is a little small for elk though!

Why?
It has the sectional density required, & at the range he used it, with the 150gr he has more than enough energy(over 1500 ft. lbs)

270 is my personal minimum for Elk, but its more than sufficient.
Heck, I took my 270WSM Elk hunting last year over my 300Wby, my .338win mag, & my -06. I loaded 140Accubonds at 3100 fps, & I'm more than confident in them out to the 500+ yd range.
Run the numbers yourself on JBM if you don't belive me:D

Might try reading the "270 for long range" thread clear at the top. It may shed light on it for you.
I'm not saying its Gods gift to LR Elk whackin', but when used within its propper parameters, its a fine Elk rifle.

I'm a 30 cal freak, but I have a soft spot for the ol 270.

Why?
It has the sectional density required, & at the range he used it, with the 150gr he has more than enough energy(over 1500 ft. lbs)

270 is my personal minimum for Elk, but its more than sufficient.
Heck, I took my 270WSM Elk hunting last year over my 300Wby, my .338win mag, & my -06. I loaded 140Accubonds at 3100 fps, & I'm more than confident in them out to the 500+ yd range.
Run the numbers yourself on JBM if you don't belive me:D

Might try reading the "270 for long range" thread clear at the top. It may shed light on it for you.
I'm not saying its Gods gift to LR Elk whackin', but when used within its propper parameters, its a fine Elk rifle.

I'm a 30 cal freak, but I have a soft spot for the ol 270.

i know its a great caliber and i agree it can take elk i have one my self! but id never take it elk hunting. i guess i like just like knowing that if i can make the shot my bullet will do its job!

Thanks!!!

Ya know, I used to "hunt" the Northwoods of Wisconsin back in the early to mid 70-s.... Only time I saw a buck during those "hunts" was when I took my Marlin lever 30-30 into the cabin and came back out with my Canon (sic) to "shoot" the sunset out over the river and when the light meter went "ping" the biggest buck I EVER saw before or since was standing there not 20 yrds under a big spruce... if he wasn't 30 points he didn't have horns!!! I was so stunned I didn't get his pic

So now what litterally 38 years later....I tag out after three days... with not the biggest animals around but respectable enough with the elk AND a 431 yard one shot kill nonetheless......and surely not a trophy whitey (small rack but well developed) but he was a HUGE deer, AND a trotting shot kill ..... MY FIRST, and well... the envy of the camp that week....half the 22 other guys wanted to fry me for breakfast sausage and the other wanted me to kiss their bullets..

I guess I have to sell my gorgeous stainless 270 with a walnut stock (shot show special) and go back to the Canon and shoot digital??

I'm trying to pull the trigger on a Bob Marshall hunt (early rifle ) for the bugle season (this Sept) ....

And, yes...YOU are right! I waited WAY too long, and perhaps the perfect amount of time! Wouldn't be honest if I didn't say I want to go again YESTERDAY!!!

Best to you...shoot straight often !!!
\
Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts